Bummer! ROSE today.....

sholy
on 5/16/08 4:36 am - KY
Well folks....they did the ROSE procedure on me today. Well,they tried to do it....they thought my pouch was 4cm turns out it was 3 cm and the surgeon tried but the tools would not work on my pouch. SO, I rushed my gallbladder operation 2 weeks ago to qualify for the ROSE and had MORE anesthesia and another hospital procedure for nothing. I don't know...it seems like I was doomed on this from the first--I was so excited and so grateful to be included in the Trial but several things made me stop and go hmmmmmmmmmm and this ending was not a happy one. SO, I guess I must find a way to stop eating on my own and to stick very carefully to protein, protein, protein. Just say, I am very bummed and a tiny bit mad--but not sure who I can even direct it at...maybe myself!!  dk
Angela M.
on 5/16/08 4:46 am - Vicksburg , MS
Revision on 06/24/10 with
So sorry to read this....is there anyway you can just get a regular ol' revision?

317/287/170

Cheryl Gebbie
on 5/16/08 6:24 am - Knoxville, TN
HUGS I Am sorry ..... you might want to try Lean Dessert Protein .....I am gonna try it out ...the people on Dr Weisses Group on MSN swears it is GREAT. http://www.supplementwarehouse.com/search.asp?strSearch=lean+dessert&submit2=Go%21 That is a website for the protein ....however I bought mine at the Vitamin Shoppe here in town HUGS Cheryl
Arizonadck
on 5/16/08 10:26 am - Chicago, IL
I'm sorry.  Same happened to me in March.  I was part of the clinical trial in Cincinnati.  My EGD showed my pouch was ok and an hour into the ROSE they had to stop - it was smaller than they thought (mismeasured?) so it couldn't be done.  I was devastated as well but I'm ok now - trying to be more positive.  I'm looking into a revision - hoping the insurance would cover it - if not I can't afford it.  I keep thinking if only the ROSE worked - it was paid for - and would have helped me lose my regain.  Just talk about it to people  - something else will come up - when one door closes another opens...   Good Luck - please hang in there!  Carolyn
kirstenMN
on 5/16/08 10:37 am - Eden Prairie, MN
Hello,  Please pardon the ignorance but what is the ROSE? kMN
sholy
on 5/16/08 2:08 pm - KY
No, a revision would not be covered by my insurance...the ROSE was pretty much paid for other than copays..that was my only way to have something done.  And really, the only thing that would help me would be DS or something similar to that and they don't do that in KY. I don't think there is one surgeon here who does that surgery. AND , folks I am tired of hospitals and all that anyway...2 (optional) surgeries in 2 weeks is nuts! I Really worry about the amount of anesthesia in the body--it always seems to take a lot out of me physically and mentally.  Maybe I just need to try harder. I didn't expect to be looking for these sorts of answers at 4 years out. It is depressing to say the least....but I will lurk around and hope to hear great results from the other ROSE participants. THanks for your responses and kind words.  Ya know how it is with us...we blame ourselves for every pound and this has just stirred up some bad emotions for me. (can u say "failure"?) TOmorrow will be a better day!!!  Dk
Cheryl Gebbie
on 5/17/08 1:34 am - Knoxville, TN
You ARE NOT a failure .... so stop that talking like that .... something will work out ... there is always appeals from the insurance companies .... if you need to talk just send me a message ....HUGS Cheryl
Arizonadck
on 5/20/08 4:40 am - Chicago, IL
No - you're not a failure!!  Hang in there - each day you'll feel better!  I agree - I didn't think 5 years later I would be in the same boat I was then - I really was naive & thought it was lifelong!  The industry really needs to do something - perhaps when doing original bypasses making the common conduit shorter then - leave no room for regain...  I don't know - but somehow we'll find answers.  Hang in there!
sholy
on 5/20/08 4:50 am - KY
Thanks Arizonadck,  I agree--I probably needed a DS--I started out very large. If my pouch is only 3cm I shouldn't be gaining---should I ? I shouldn't be hungrier? Dunno.....weight loss is always gonna be a mystery to me!!! You would think I would be an expert by now!
Arizonadck
on 5/20/08 10:27 am - Chicago, IL
I too have been dieting for many years and get more and more confused.  There are so many conflicting reports/diets out there - it's mind boggling. I don't think any of us will ever be "experts" - we will get smarter but never perfect.  They tell us our pouch is a certain size but I agree - if it's that small then why aren't we getting fuller faster.  Don't beat yourself up.  Just learn from it!  My prayers are with you.  A door will open for you!  Take care! 
Most Active