Revision and weightloss stall already

Michaelle H.
on 5/15/08 3:38 am - Puyallup, WA
I need a little advice and knowledge. I have a revision due to a intestanal Fistula on April 7 08.  I spend 9 days in the hospital because of loosing my splean. They also removed my old stomach.  I origanally lost 30lbs and now I have completely stalled. I mostly due protein shakes because even pureed foods still bother me.  I'm trying to get all the water in but am finding there isn't enough hours in the day to do the program correctly so I bought some electrolyte drops to put in my water to help.  I feel like I'm brand new at this and that I didn't have it done origanaly.  I would appreciate any advice.  Thanks,  Michaelle H.  Puyallup, WA 
ShayZ
on 5/15/08 3:47 am - Somewhere, TX

First of all, I hope you are feeling better upon the revision and secondly i want you to think back to your original surgery.  How long have you been stalled?  If you are still on the liquid diet, could it be possible that you are not intaking enough calories for your body to even think of burning off the fat and that you are holding onto everything.  I think patience may be the key here.  I haven't been revised (yet, God say the same) but I remember there were some weeks I lost 5-6 lbs and others not an ounce and I would add a Boost or something in and it would make all the difference in the world. Good Luck

ginau
on 5/15/08 2:53 pm - mesa, AZ

Remember too , revisioner's loose slower than the 1st timers !  dont expect to loose that same way you did .

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/08 5:10 pm - AZ
I did not know that about revisions. Saw Dr Schlesinger today. I really liked him. Spent about 1 hour with me. He said the route for me is do the hybrid way and deal with the small intestines. He will check the pouch out also. I have to have a Plumonary, endocrin and hematology consults. I already see a endocrinolgist and a hematoligist. I also have to a 3rd sleep study done. But those are fast test. maybe a week wait for that. Dr S I had no Vit Defiency's at all. I was in shock because my endocrinolgist said I did. DR S said no way. I like this guy very straight forward and to the point...
charleston-mom
on 5/15/08 11:50 pm
I'm a revision and lost 100 pounds in 9 months, so I think I'm keeping up with the first timers. I don't know that it's necessarily true that we don't lose as fast - I think it so much based on our own personal situations. Just keep your chin up. I had lots of stalls along the way and still have 20 pounds to go. It will come off, honest!
mrdoores
on 5/18/08 11:35 am - Waldorf, MD
What type of WLS did you have at first?  I have been reading this forum on revision but not really sure what I want at this point.  I thought about DS because I tend to graze all day when I am home and don't eat properly when I am at work. I didn't follow the program properly when I had my original surgery in 2000. I lost 137lbs and have now gained back about 67lbs.  So you see why I am reading all I can about revisional surgery.  Thanks, marianna

BeachPat
on 5/18/08 11:52 am
Marianna, I also had a previous surgery (RNY in 1997). I lost 100 lbs. and gained back 30, but I still have over 100 to lose. I did LOTS of research on all surgeries and decided on the DS. The insurance company said no, but I appealed and won. My surgery is scheduled for June 20 in Vienna, VA with Dr. Elariny, one of the best in the field. Pat
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

mrdoores
on 5/18/08 12:53 pm - Waldorf, MD
Thanks for replying.  What all did you have to do?  My daughter says I don't need another surgery, I just need to go back to the basics, which is very hard to do.  I need to lose another 137lbs to be at goal weight.   I saw where someone went to Dr Elariny and had to pay $3000.00 out of pocket for some type of fee, did you have to do that? 

BeachPat
on 5/19/08 12:42 pm
If you need to lose another 137 lbs., I would definitely recommend surgery. (If we could have lost it on our own, we would have.)  Dr. Elariny does ask for payment up front, and then you are reimbursed by the insurance company (if approved), so that can be a financial hardship....but I believe he (and the surgery) are worth it.
RNY (1997) at 338 lbs.;revision (2001); Failed StompahyX in 2007; DS (2008) at 268 lbs.

babybee6
on 5/18/08 10:08 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Are you having your stomach revised also?
Most Active