Stomaphyx weight update

gparsons
on 6/5/08 9:55 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hey There! I also have tricare Prime - but was told they wouldnt approve - or that they HADNT approved..... Any ideas? Help? How was the stomaphyx and how are you doing? I CANNOT decide if I should pay to have this done or what?!!?!?
Sherine R.
on 2/17/09 11:05 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Good luck to you.  I am interested in having the procedure done and I also have TriCare, but I am having a hard time getting them to cover it because there is no procedure code for this.  Could you please tell me the procedure code that was used for your procedure?
lmwdezertgrl
on 10/4/09 12:34 am - hampton, VA
I am curious- did you get tricare to approve the stomaphyx? Did you get a code for it?
JaneQPski
on 5/19/08 3:43 am - Fountain, CO
Mark, I just signed up on this page and I'm interested in the stomaphyx; this is where they go through your mouth endoscopically? I had a gastric by pass in 1993 and I've gained some weight back, really having issues with this and researched this somewhat. haven't talked with anyone about it though and would like to know your experience, maybe history of what led you to that procedure. I live in Colorado WF 38. Please get back to me. Jane
cheyenne16
on 6/1/08 6:03 am - Post Falls, ID
I had Stomaphyx June of 2007.  I initially lost 17 lbs.  I have since gained it back.  My surgeon scoped me last month and all but 2 of the fasteners have fallen out. I had to self pay - what a waste of money!
Nansies
on 7/11/08 11:07 am
Two of the fasteners fell out? Just wondering, but seemingly they would have had to fall out within 6 weeks of surgery for your tissue not to have heeled and then remained restricted? From the research I have done the fasteners actually are just temporary and will then dissolve in time---typically after your stoma has healed it said position? Did your surgeon mention any of this?
cheyenne16
on 7/11/08 3:41 pm - Post Falls, ID

No, ALL BUT TWO fell out - in other words, only two remain.  I have been told different things but certainly NOT that they would fall out.  The rep from the company said that the mucosa grows over the fastners so they are not able to be seen.  My local surgeon ((not the one who did the stomaphyx) said that's not the case, they just were not put in correctly and not enough of them were put in.  Now you say that you've read that they will fall out when the tissue heals.  That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Nansies
on 7/11/08 4:16 pm

Sorry, I read it incorrectly. I thought the last point was RESORBABLE, meaning that once the tissue heals in place they dissolve (usually a time issue). Interesting. I have already found 3 people that have had the Stomaphyx and they either never felt restriction, or it was just a month or more "honeymoon" when they were on a liquid diet again. I'm actually a bit upset that my surgeon is performing this...but obviously there are no long-term results so performance is the only way to get them.  

Below is posted from endo-gastric solutions (the manufacturer or the endoscopic device) 

Multiple Fasteners-Single Insertion:

StomaphyX™ is the first transoral, endoluminal fastener delivery system capable of delivering multiple fasteners with a single insertion giving physicians greater flexibility when evaluating surgical options. StomaphyX is the pioneering device for achieving tissue approximation in the GI tract and is built on EndoGastric Solutions' platform technology that is setting the standard for endoluminal surgery. Coupled with patented SerosaFuse fastener technology, StomaphyX enables serosa-to-serosa fusion, the strongest tissue bond, which is intended to improve the durability of the plication(s).

Benefits:
  • Less clinical risk - no need for incisions 
  • Enables different procedures for different anatomies
  • Preserves future treatment options
  • Less pain than laparoscopy
  • Faster recovery than with open/laparoscopic procedures
Features:
  • Transoral insertion
  • Delivers unlimited fasteners with single insertion
  • Adjustable and/or revisable transorally
  • No abdominal incisions
  • No internal incisions

SerosaFuse Fasteners:

• Made of polypropylene, equivalent web strength to 3-0 suture
  • Holds plication to enable serosal fusion
  • Tension free tissue approximation, not likely to trap and compress nerves or vessels
  • Non-resorbable, continues to hold
cheyenne16
on 7/12/08 1:41 am - Post Falls, ID

I felt restriction early on for maybe a month and then all of a sudden nothing....   According to people that I know who are on top of the research, the ROSE PROCEDURE is effective but Stomaphyx is not.  I wish I had known that prior to my procedure.  The Rose Procedure was not available at that time however.  The Rose Procedure has fasteners that grab deep into the stomach muscle and not just into the musosa which tends not to hold as well. 

I was very careful after my procedure to do liquids first for two weeks, then to eat small amounts.

It's very disappointing to have paid that money for nothing.

I have been doing Atkins on my own for 3 months and have lost 19 lbs. however and am within 10-12 pounds of my goal weight.

leoncinia
on 6/10/08 10:59 am
Hi.  I had gastric bypass in 2001 and lost about 120 lbs.  I have gained back all but about 60 lbs.  June 27th I am having the Stomaphx.  I am interested to know the success rate.  What can I expect?  Any info is appreciated.  Thanks!!
Most Active