Wanting a revision

chrissyw
on 5/13/08 5:22 am - Cedar Rapids, IA
I had a VBG in 2003 and only lost 80lbs and I am trying to get a revision.  It's like starting all over again trying to lose weight with no success.  I had a consultation at the University of Iowa with Dr Jamal.  He had me get an endoscopy and an upper GI, then told me a revision wasn't what I needed that I needed to go on a DIET!  I was so pissed I walked out of his office!  I got veto'd by the doctor not the insurance company!!  Does anyone have any information that could help me?  I want to go get a second opinion but I'm so scared they might say the same thing. 
PekinSal
on 5/13/08 5:30 am - UK
You don't need that kind of advice, you need a proper surgery! If only I could think of things like that to say at the time... I think there are a few VBGers *****vised to the DS on the DS board if you wanted to repost there - they might have some stories and information to help you. I think the idea is that they revise your stomach to be smaller, plus re-route your tubing to help you lose weight and stay that way in the long term. They might be able to suggest friendlier second opinions too! Best wishes Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

jtrandall
on 5/14/08 6:59 am - TX
At the first reading of your post you want to "smack" the doctor but what was his or her reason?  If it is that you have vomiting issues, or something medically related causing you to regain then I don't see how that will help going on a diet.  But if everything is working correctly and you are just eating wrong and not excercising, then the Doc could be right.  I say could be...  Can you say what their reason was? Having gone through the RNY already two years ago and now thinking of a revision to DS, I can say that I did have blinders on to some extent in that no one was talking me out of the RNY.  Partly because my insurance wouldn't cover the DS at the time.  Now it will.  also liked the idea of dumping to keep me away from sugar but I later learned that 50% do not have dumping and I am one of them. Anyway, my point is we can quickly dismiss someone that doesn't go along with what we want but we really should step back and objectively understand their reasoning and evaluate it and if we still disagree, charge ahead. Jim
Most Active