I have lots of questions about revision of Gastric bypass,HELP!

failure48
on 5/12/08 11:08 am - Livingston, TN
Please anyone and everyone help me! I have lots of questions. First of all I had gastric bypass surgery in December of 2004. I weighed in at 223 lbs then and lost to 168 lbs. But that was it. My doctor said I should weigh approximately 130 lbs. Well I never got close. Then the weight started coming back on. My taste buds were changed after the surgery and alot of things didn't taste right to me.  But I'm a failure. I don't know what to do. I haven't seen my doctor (surgeon) in 2 years.  I'm too ashamed of myself and didn't want to hear his disappointment in me.  Anyway, my diabeties is coming back up and my neuropathy and arthristis is getting worse again.  I'm back up to 199 and I'm so afraid. I need a revision and I don't know where to start. How easy is it to get insurance to approve of this revision and what steps do I need to take to get scheduled for this revision surgery.  And what is the revision?  Is there alot of pain like with the by pass ?  Any information anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.  I live in Tennessee and had my surgery at the Centinnal Medical Center in Nashville , Tn. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee Insurance through the Nissan plant.  It really hurts me that I have failed at this.  I am married into one of those families that weight is one of those things that they talk about all the time. They even made the comments before I had the surgery that people have failed and they gain their weight back. And here I am proving them right that I am a failure . They are mostly all skinny and therefore I'm the fat woman married to their boy and poor him. Sorry don't mean to sound so down about this but anyone who's had the weight understands how it feels to be treated like your spouse has settle for less than they should have . And it doesn't make it any easier that his ex wife is one of those 90 lbs women.  Wow, I'm really on a pitty party right now..Sorry.  Just help me with all the info you can. Thanks.
ginau
on 5/12/08 12:02 pm - mesa, AZ
1 - your not a failure 2 call ins and see what their criteria is  3. read back through this forum and look for Dr Schlesingers posts - he will share lots of info - but you need to read  4 hold your head up high !  you will win the battle !!! 
m.espoir
on 5/12/08 1:18 pm - NJ
You need to call as many surgeons as you can and ask if they do revisions, and perhaps when they hear what happened, they will deem it medically necessary to revise, this way the insurance pays for the revision. I am not sure but you may need a BMI of 40 again to be approved. This is why you gotta make a lot of phone calls. Also, research the DS!!!! Go to the DS board, there are MANY failed RNY to DS revisions there, they can answer you! (I was failed band to DS) Good luck
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

JROLFSON
on 5/13/08 5:22 am - St. George, UT
Dear Failure: I totally understand why you feel like a failure, but please know, YOU ARE NOT!!! I wonder if your pouch was made small enough. Because you were actually a lite weight in terms of RNY Surgery. 223 lbs, is less than most going into WLS. Therefore, only losing down to 168 makes me wonder if your surgery failed you, not you failing your surgery. You need to have the medical work up to find out. That would be endoscopy, x-ray, a couple of things that can possibly, not always, tell the Dr's. whats going on in there. Then you need to research and find the best physician involved with doing Revisions. I'm not saying that your current surgeon is not the best, but there are definately surgeons who have extensive experience in revisions. Most surgeons only specialize in one or two types of revisions. It's so important to find the best revision for you. You seem as if you would be a great candidate for a distal or extended rny. Which means they shorten your common channel giving you a more absorbtive procedure, thus helping you to lose additional weight. If you're trying to lose an additional 60 lbs and get down to 130 that may be just the ticket for you. Good Luck in your endeavors but research all you can. Check out JRinAZ she just had a extended rny and swears by it. and her doctor. JRolfson
grandsonx2
on 5/13/08 7:13 am - TN
First of all, please change your name, because believe me, you are not a failure, I too had gastric bypass believe it or not, in 2004, and I weighed 230lbs and only got down to around 180,and am now checking into a revision! and guess what, I also live in Tn, only I live close to Nashville, and I had mine done at Vanderbilt! I have already been approved for my revision, I am just trying to decide exactly what I am going to do!  I have checked into the DS, but all the Drs that do a revision from RNY to DS are out of state, and I am not sure I can afford to do that, also, I am speaking with my dr about doing a band over my RNY, and I will be seeing him next week to discuss it. I am just not sure what do do!  you here pro's and cons on both!  but let me tell you, the one thing you need to know is, this has happened to a lot of us, you just need to check out every option on this board, go into the lapband and DS forum, and check it out!  I have really learned a lot!   please let me know how it is going for you!    Hang in there!!!
Most Active