Iwant a revision after Gastric Bypass!

shawn31
on 5/11/08 9:27 am - Charlotte, NC
Lap Band on 03/30/15
I want to get a  revision done. I had the gastric bypass  done in 2006 and I was 330 pounds and now I weigh 233. I am still overweight. I need to lose 80 pounds. I am not sure if a revision is the right move for me but I feel like I have failed at losing weight. Does anyone know a revision doctor in Charlotte,NC
Angela M.
on 5/11/08 10:30 am - Vicksburg , MS
Revision on 06/24/10 with
Wow, our stories are so much a like.  I was 323 at my highest and lost down to 226 but am now bak up to 233 which is where I have been for months.  I have been approved for a revision but am now in the process of finding a new surgeon because my present one wants to charge me $2000 for a "mandatory program fee".  My insurance company does not think this is appropriate and has given me authorization to find another doctor.  I still have 60-70 lbs to lose and I know I can not do it on my own. You can look on this site to find a surgeon in your area.  Just go to the find a: bariatric surgeon link and you should have no problem from there.  Also, you should go to your insurance company's website and check to see if the surgeon(s) you are interested in are contracted with them. Good luck!

317/287/170

ShayZ
on 5/12/08 2:00 am - Somewhere, TX

Good morning, y'all I am curious as to how tall both of you are.  I am looking into revision and am around the same weight as both of you but am having trouble because my BMI is only 35 I don't want (refuse) to gain weight if I can help it.  I originallly got down to 195 and my weight at surgery was 313 with my high being 411.  Alex, it seems as though you have already had a revision; how did you get it approved though insurance?

Angela M.
on 5/12/08 4:04 am, edited 5/12/08 4:04 am - Vicksburg , MS
I'm 5'8 and a half........No, I had the actual surgery June 5, 2007.  My original surgeon made my pouch where it can hold up to 6ozs of food which only allowed me to lose 60 lbs.  I was approved for the revision because the first one failed.  I am hearing this a lot though.  Where surgeons are making the pouches larger thus giving their patients a smaller honeymoon phase.....

317/287/170

ShayZ
on 5/12/08 5:06 am - Somewhere, TX

Really, why would they want a patient to fail?  Well to be fair; I went to a surgeon for a revision and he told me he was going to lengthen the common channel....WTF?!!  I mean my understanding is that Lap works by restriction, DS through malabsorption and RNY through both mechanisms, although not to the extreme of either.  He was going to take away my malabsorption....does that make any sense?  Oh and thank you for answering I am trying to find anyway to make a revision happen for myself and everyone who takes time out of their lives to answer enriches us all.

Angela M.
on 5/12/08 5:19 am - Vicksburg , MS

Oh no problem.  I wish more people would respond on this forum. I know there are a lot of people out there in need of revisions and for some reason(s), just won't talk about it or share their experiences.  Anyway, I kinda wanted a DS but was afraid of it because it can not be reversed.  I just want my pouch made smaller so that I can take in less food therefore eat less and lose the weight.  I am not educated when it comes to the whole "channel" issue.  I never understood it.  I just want my pouch made smaller and if I go to this new doctor and he starts talking about making my channel shorter and all that jazz....I'm out!  Then, I'm gonna figure out how to come up with the $2000.00 my current surgeon wants.

317/287/170

ShayZ
on 5/12/08 6:04 am - Somewhere, TX
Is that $2000 over and above what insurance will pay?  I don't understand that.  We fight so hard in the battle of the bulge; we finally get to the point where we want to be healthy and our insurance companies agree and the bariatric surgeons decide that need more than what their offices have settled for with insurance?  That is crazy.  If they don't feel that insurance is paying them enough then they need to negotiate with them; don't hurt a person already in pain! Soapbox DISMOUNT!
Angela M.
on 5/12/08 7:48 am - Vicksburg , MS
Exactly...they are charging that as a "program fee".  But, the dr. told me in a consult that he is never paid for the amount of time he spends in the OR so he the money has to come from somewhere...yes he told me this in a consult but at the time he wanted me to pay out of pocket for the stomaphyx....even though my insurance company pays for the stomaphyx...just not what he wants to get paid.  I am just tired of this entire process, I really am.  I am tired of being fat, I am tired of trying to lose weight and failing and I am tired of being a nervous eater.  I paid a trainer over $800.00 for 3 months of training and I lost 8 lbs.....this was after I had the first surgery...so my nerves are beyond bad...I am currently in therapy because this past year has just been so hard...... 

317/287/170

ShayZ
on 5/13/08 12:25 am - Somewhere, TX
trust me, I feel your pain.  When I first decided to allow someone the right to go in my body and mess with my insides; I figured if I did what they said and stuck to it; I would be successful.  Well that was not the case and although I wouldn't change a thing this revision process is harder than the inital for me.  I first had the surgery so as not to develop all the deadly co-morbidities that come with being fat and now that something has decided to work; I have to gain 40lbs MORE because I do not have all the co-morbidities, make sense?  I am hoping I found an out because since I started gaining weight I have terrible back and knee pain.  But this entire ordeal has been painful.  I know you need them as much as any of us, but don't let them defeat you okay?   How are you doing with the smaller pouch now?
Angela M.
on 5/13/08 2:16 am - Vicksburg , MS
I have not had the revision yet.  It is scheduled for 07/16/08.  I just upset sometimes because this entire process has just been so crazy.  I have decided to get a loan and just pay my doctor the program fee because there are people on this site that have it WAY worse than I do and would love to only have to be concerned with a lousy $2000 program fee.  So I have to pay out an extra 55 bucks a month.  I just got a new credit card the other day so I will just have the payment drafted from there every month.  Is that the smart thing to do?  probably not but I really don't want to deal with this end of the surgery anymore.  the after life of it is hard enough....learning to re-eat....learning to re-live.  I am going to count my blessings and move on. Thanks a lot.

317/287/170

Most Active