Band over RNY

Arizonadck
on 5/9/08 1:52 pm - Chicago, IL

I'm  looking into revisions. I had my RNY almost 5 years ago - lost 170 lbs and have gained 35 back.  I want to lose the 35 I've gained plus 40 add'l lbs I had wanted to lose before I started gaining - so I want to lose 75 lbs.  My scope shows my pouch is small but my stoma enlarged.  My dr suggests (and it's the only type of revision he does) band over bypass.  2 things I read from Dr. Schlesinger's postings on this forum about band over rny are:   doesn't work well on small pouches (not enough to pinch so won't close the stoma much); and, you don't lose much weight (not the 75 I need to).  My next step is to look into the malabsorption revisions (DS and extended Rny).  Before I do I would like to ask if anyone out there has had the band over rny.  Did you have a small pouch (w/enlarged stoma)?  Was it successful?  How much did you want to lose?  How much were you able to lose?  Would it be possible to lose the 75 I need to?  I appreciate your help.  Carolyn

(deactivated member)
on 5/10/08 1:07 am
Arizonadck
on 5/10/08 9:18 am - Chicago, IL

Hi Linda - you mean your doc wouldn't do the band?  Is the Restore procedure (I'm not familiar w/it) working for you?  Why is it too late for you to get the band?  Thanks!  Carolyn

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/08 1:11 am
Arizonadck
on 5/12/08 8:44 am - Chicago, IL

Is Restore a certain kind of diet or a revision?  Is it hard to diet when you don't have any restriction - which means you must always feel hunger?!  I thought after my RNY I would never have any weight problems...  Oh well, good luck.  Hopefully you won't need any future trials/studies.  Thanks!  Carolyn

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/08 10:56 am
Arizonadck
on 5/13/08 11:03 am - Chicago, IL
I can't even find a diet that I don't gain weight.  I just want a revision that will work to get the weight off!  Thanks!  Good Luck!
(deactivated member)
on 5/13/08 12:30 pm
littleguy
on 5/10/08 5:11 am
How big is your pouch ?Is your jejunum dilated ?  many patients with small pouches and large stomas probably had jejunal stretch rather than pouch stretch. This is probably because the stoma was large to begin with.  If the pouch is too small for rose, then a band is not going to work. Dr Gorcey and Borao are looking into this. they have noticed this particular pattern and have discussed doing a modified ROSE for the jejunum. they are waiting for USGI to release its newest anchor system which will work for small bowel.. the present anchors are set only for stomach wall thickness. They think maybe after the summer  that they will start to attack jejunal dilitation as well as gastro-gastric fistulas.  stay tuned in.
Arizonadck
on 5/10/08 9:33 am - Chicago, IL
Hi littleguy - I'm sorry I'm not familiar w/jejunal dilitation.  I don't know the numbers but after my EGD the doc told me my pouch was very small - exact same size as right after my bypass but my stoma was 2-1/2 times enlarged.   That's why the ROSE didn't work - my pouch was too small.  So you agree then, that the band wouldn't work on my small pouch?  I will keep my eyes open for new developments.  Thanks for sharing!  Carolyn 
Most Active