Small Bowel Follow Thru test

Deanne K.
on 5/7/08 11:53 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi All, I had my SBFT test yesterday and the barium went through in less than 20-30 minutes, does anyone have any idea what this means?  I know my stoma is wide open, but was surprised that when I got the first glass down, took x-ray and finished the 2nd one and x-ray that it was already all the way through my system.  It just seemed so fast.  I have to wait for the result from the GI Dr. but was wondering i anyone has had this same experience.
S Andrews
on 5/8/08 3:27 pm - eatonville, WA
Hi Deanne, I had an upper GI done several weeks ago and was supposed to have the SBFT done also but was nauseated and just couldn't drink anymore so didn't do it. My test showed that I had barium going into my pouch, jejunum, residual stomach and my deuodudom which I am assuming means I have a staple line disruption(fistula). HOWEVER, heres my point and I apologize if this seems graphic - as soon as I got out of radiolgy I had to use the restroom and there was the barium- about 30 minutes after the fact. I personally thought it had traveled thru my system very quickly also. I amstillwaiting to talk to a Dr about all of this. Good luck! Sharon
Deanne K.
on 5/9/08 1:37 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Sharon, Thanks for replying.  I just don't know what to think about it.  I too had it coming out at 30 minutes after the fact.  They didn't give me any indication of what they really saw.  The whole test from time I got undressed to the time I was finished was less than 1/2 hour.  I started late after 9:00 am and finished way before 10:00 when I walked out the door.  I just think it's too fast.  When I had it done 1-1/2 years ago, it took about 1-1/2 hours to go to the intestine.  I know the stoma is wide open and it pours right through as we saw this on the EGD.  We know it is larger than it was 1-1/2 years ago, then it measured at 17mm.  Senerio: Took first x-ray, drank 1 glass, took 2nd x-ray, drank 2nd glass and went to the RR, then they took 3rd x-ray and took me to the fluroscope for the Radiologist to finish.  It was like a whirlwind.  I know it's going to be a week or two before I get results back. I can't seem to get my Surgeon to want to help me, so I am looking to go see Dr. Schlesinger to discuss it all and possible seek the revision. Deanne
MsDeniseinPA
on 5/9/08 2:51 am - PA
When I had my Upper GI done a month or so ago, they said it would take 30-45 minutes, but I was done in 20.   They also didn't give any indication of what they saw, only the band from my original  VBG from 1998. Not sure what it means that the test was over so quickly.
Deanne K.
on 5/9/08 5:27 am - Tucson, AZ
Well I got the official call from the GI Dr. today.  Transit time was 15 minutes.  He is recommending that I go see a surgeon regarding the possibility of adhesions and some spots on the test.  I guess hopefully now I can make an appointment to see Dr. Schlesinger.  I am waiting the ok from my PCP now.  I don't have to have his ok, but I need him behind me if I need more tests, etc.
tybare1
on 5/9/08 6:14 am
Am I correct in understanding that you had surgey and lost then regained?  I am in the same situation. I would like to know what a revision is and how it works and the results normally seen, can you explain any of this. I really need to do something
Deanne K.
on 5/9/08 10:06 am - Tucson, AZ

The answer to your question is very complicated.  If you look for Dr. Schlesinger's message the ABC's of revision it might help you with more information.  He gives some great information on those posts.

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/08 6:29 am - AZ
Hi, I am also getting a revision of my gastric bypass and want a DS. I am getting a EGD to check my old gastric bypass checked and to see the lay of the land per Dr Simon. I am not having a SBFT or UGI. I can't drink that stuff and makes me puke everytime. I would rather have a EGD. What do you think he is looking for ? I also have a question if you convert to a DS I notice that some doctors say you can eat bigger meals with a DS compared to the Gastric Bypass. What is the diest for a DS patient compared to a Gatric bypass pt ? Thnaks, Dawn
Deanne K.
on 5/9/08 6:50 am - Tucson, AZ
Dawn, The EGD was the first test that I did along with a colonoscopy.  Then I had a CAT scan, then the SBFT test.  I think I might be on the road to a revision.  I am not sure about the diet or portions for a DS patient.  You might find more info on the DS board.  I think the DS diet is very low in fat and high protein. Deanne
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/08 7:15 am - AZ
Deanne,  I guess I will find out next Friday. He never mentioned a colonoscopy or a SBFT. Who knows he might order that also. Keep me posted on what your up to and I will keep you posted ?
Most Active