Has anyone had a revision and had complications especially with scar tissue?

M. Hall
on 5/7/08 7:59 am - Norcross, GA
I had RNY in 2002, came out with complications. (1st set of scar tissue) 3 day hospital stay turned into 1 month. During that month they operated again to clean up a leak. (2nd set of scar tissue). Then 3 months later I was hospitalized again because the drainage tube that was pulled out left an infection and never healed properly and medication would not heal it, so they opted to do an outpaitient surgery to clear it up. Instead of going home the same day I stayed for a week. ( 3rd set of scar tissue)  And guess what after going thru all that I never made it to my goal. I never felt the restriction everyone else said they felt. I count on my hand how many times I have vomited. My best friend had the Fobi and she still throws up to this day. So anyway, please tell me what am I getting myself into with this scar tissue and having this surgery revised. Will I be ok afterwards?
L M
on 5/7/08 3:36 pm - MS
I would be scared to try to have the pouch and stoma messed with since there is probably alot of scar tissue. It would probably be safter to go in and bypass more intestine. Making you a distal RNY instead of proximal. I think Michelle/vitalady is like this. You would be much like a DS. Look on there forum. Alot of them have been revised from RNY. I would also get a surgeon who specializes in this type of revision and has done alot. Since you have a problem with scar tissue it will probably be very difficult. I wish you all the best.
robert B.
on 5/7/08 10:43 pm - fair lawn, NJ
i am having rny to lap band the doctor said scar tissue makes the surgery takes longer  but he says he does a lot of tough cases
LosingSally
on 5/8/08 3:00 pm
Vomiting is a not a goal of any weight loss surgery, and if your friend vomits every day, she has a serious problem. Or is bulemic, Were she my friend, I would try to encourage her to seek medical advice on vomiting every day. That is NOT how people lose weight with WLS.
Most Active