DS quagmire

ShayZ
on 5/7/08 1:51 am - Somewhere, TX

Good morning, board, I have a little (okay nothing about me is little but, I digress) problem.  I went to go see a DS surgeon yesterday, last week I went to one that specialized in RNY revisions.  First some history I guess, I am 6 years out and about 6-7 months ago started to put on weight after being stable for 5 years.  I am now 31 lbs heavier than when I moved to Texas .  I started investigating revisions a back in November and with the help of many people on this board, hey Larra, decided that I wanted to try DS.  Now here is the rough part. My BMI is only 35-36, at my height to get to a BMI of 40; I would have to gain 35lbs.  I can not tell you how scared that makes me.  I have no co-morbidities (that is why I had surgery 6 years ago dang it) and insurance won't go near me.  The doctor yesterday basically said that he would do the surgery if i could afford upwards of 30k but other than that there is nothing he could do for me...oh wait, he did offer to run me through his Optifast program (remnants of being told to go on a diet) and his assistant who is 8 years old from a RNY basically told me to suck it up or pay.  Quite literally, I was explaining my situation and she interjected that she was 8 yrs old and gaining too...she said, "You just aren't the size you want to be and insurance is not going to get you there so you have a decision to make." Not quite warm and fuzzy (I apologize for the rambling). Here is the problem; I am seriously considering trying to find the 30k, I will not be spending it in his practice, but I can't face the possibility of gaining more weight without a reason.  I have a house in Ohio that is a drain on me, I will be taking a loss to sell it but I don't see where I have any other choices....anyone have any thoughts to help?

ginawins
on 5/7/08 4:46 am - Las Vegas, NV
Have you tried the 5 day pouch test?  Are you following your pouch rules?  Protein first, drinking all your water.....?

welcome_to_the_weteos.jpg image by CCRHdirty_birdie_sm.gif picture by CCRHqueen_bee_gina_small.gif picture by CCRH

ShayZ
on 5/7/08 5:40 am - Somewhere, TX
I am doing the pouch test now.  I am actually trying to do the low carb version <10g at any sitting and <30 a day. I know I probably shouldn't tweak it but I want to get rid of carb cravings that have started too.  I am only on Day 1 but I am optimistic.  Are there any other versions of this diet besides the one at 5daypouchtest.com?
Most Active