9 months since lap band and never lost only gained back

brandyII
on 5/8/08 7:55 am
Thanks Lara, I will.  It's kind of a new surgery to the group I'm with so maybe to them it's still kind of rare, I don't know but appreciate it and will check it out, brandyII.
PekinSal
on 5/8/08 5:53 am - UK
Brandy The answer is yes to both - I'm not interested; sweet things taste too sweet now. I tried some of DH's chocolate and it was 'nothing special' - before I could eat loads of it and still want more. Even if I wanted it I know I'd be done after two bites anyway - you can do yourself a lot less damage!  I asked DH to eat sweets out of the house after my op, cos I was deternined to keep off the carbs while I was losing this time, but I've eased up on him because it doesn't affect me. I chose the band because it was a kind of 'easy' way into WLS (no rearranging your insides) - for me it was the cheapest option too. At least it taught me how to chew properly - that wasn't a shock after the DS! Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

brandyII
on 5/8/08 7:58 am
Thanks Sal, You're starting to give me back some confidence.  I'm so happy for you that it's working.  I'm still a bit scared that it won't work but the more I read from people like you the better I feel.  I'm not afraid of surgery but like you if I thought the band would work I didn't want to take a chance of having something more drastic done and probably should have in the first place!  Live and learn right, oh and I love your avatar, I have to get one, thanks brandyII.
PekinSal
on 5/8/08 8:20 am - UK
Thanks Brandy - she's one of our Pekin hens. We have 9 of them, and they all seem to have imaginary chicks at the moment (not the brainiest pets we've ever had!) From research it seems quite hard to fail at the DS. You don't see many failed DSers on this Board. You see plenty of RNYers and lapbanders - partly because there are more of both groups, but also because DS isn't a 'tool' as such that relies on you to make it work.  You have a job to do - getting in the protein, vits and water, but most of the rest is done for you, whether you have willpower or not. Anything that relied on me being 'good' is doomed to failure - I realised that 2 years and the wrong operation too late, but I got there in the end! Get yourself a piccy girl - not one of that sexy bloke from Lost though - whoever has that one I just stare at him and ignore whatever she's saying... Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

brandyII
on 5/8/08 12:04 pm
PekinSal, Okay now I know what a Pekin is, at first glance I thought it was an ostrich, lol.   I did have to research them a bit on the internet to double check.  I have two birds but they are ****atiels and my 19 year old daughter is getting an African grey parrot in June so I sent OH my picture of the baby that's being hand fed now by the owners.  I've never had such a hard time getting a picture up before and my husband is usually the one who does it for me and couldn't do it so I emailed it and it could take three weeks if they can even get it working.  But you're the first to know what it will be! So now I have to research the DS and someone else suggested that to me also.  I don't know if my surgeon's team does the DS so I'll look into that too.  It seems like I want something that is pretty foolproof though.  I appreciate all your info it has helped me a lot and I don't feel as depressed about it anymore.  Well at least not today, lol! I haven't seen the picture of the dude from Lost yet so I'll have to search around for it.  Never would put up my own picture though that's for sure!  Well take care and thanks again for your help brandyII.
VelvetKiss
on 5/8/08 11:50 am - Broadview Heights, OH
Hi Brandy,  I like you have a Band and have had it for 22 months and I have lost 100 lbs, but at my size, I am down to 470 lbs, it isnt a good lose by the Band standards.  You are not alone in how you feel, I never had good restriction, any healthy food I ate got stuck or came back up and yes the bad stuff went down way to easy.  I too chose my Band because I didnt want to do something so drastic as change my insides but now realize I chose the wrong surgery and I am now seeking a new surgeon to have the DS performed and I hope I can get my medicare to cover the revision or I wont be able to have the surgery.  Your not a failure or alone.  Research and Research and keep asking questions till you figure out which surgery is best for you.  I am choosing the DS this time because of the fact it has a full intact stomach and that I can eat sweets in small portions and not get sick.  Like you sweets are a big problem for me, I can go months without them and then I get hit with a craving and it is hard to control.
brandyII
on 5/8/08 12:09 pm
VelvetK, Thanks for your support and I hope you can get the insurance coverage.  You're the third person who has suggested the DS out of all the other procedures so it's starting to look like that's a good option for me too.  I'm going to look into it and see if my surgeon does it.  Like you I don't know if it's going to be covered or not under my insurance so that's a big barrier to get through. Anyway thanks again and good luck to you and let me know how things progress on your end of things, brandyII.
catjurado
on 5/10/08 3:06 pm - santa ana, CA
Hello, My name is Cathy. I was wondering If you pay for the fills or the insurance. I have been told that the insurance dose not cover the fills. Is this true? Thanks, Cathy
brandyII
on 5/12/08 6:50 am
Cathy, my insurance pays for my fills, I think without they're around $450 a pop and I pay a co-pay of $40 which is a lot better so I don't think that's the case for all people, brandyII.
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/08 3:44 am - Fort Worth, TX
Most Active