Revision from gastric bypass to Lapband?

Arizonadck
on 7/6/08 9:11 am - Chicago, IL
Hi!  I would love to know how you're doing - by now you got your fill, right?!!  Are you feeling ok?  Any weight loss?  I really hope you're doing great.  Take care!
FIREMANTRB
on 7/6/08 11:03 am - OH
Hey! Thanks for asking, Im doing great!  I feel wonderful.  I had lost about 22 pounds (my last doc visit about 8 days ago).  I had my first fill at that time.  I am now about 35 days out and have lost about 25 pounds.  I dont feel a lot of difference in restriction, but I do notice that I feel fuller longer!!  That is a huge help!!
Arizonadck
on 7/7/08 10:43 am - Chicago, IL
Just to feel fuller longer would be wonderful!  Wow - 25 pounds - you're doing fabulous!!  Do you eat less with the band?  I'm still unable to eat a lot in one sitting but get hungry within an hour after eating so I'm grazing a lot!  Good going! I'm so glad you feel wonderful!  You certainly are a success story!  Keep it up!  Keep us posted - okay!!  Take care!
traceyls57
on 5/30/08 3:37 am

HI, I am trying to decide what surgery I want, rny or lap band.  Any advice? Why are you going for lap band and not another rny? I would appreciate any advice or comments, your journey with rny and why you think you gained your weight back. Thank you Tracey

FIREMANTRB
on 5/30/08 4:18 am - OH
HI Tracy I chose the band over my pre-existing RNY because I did not have the restriction that I had originally with the RNY.  My stoma had become enlarged and my food was basically only sitting in my pouch for a few seconds before passing through.  It didnt matter what I ate, it was never satisfying for more than 5-10 minutes before I felt hungry again (and I dont mean just head hunger).  Having the adjustability of the band is going to be good.  I would never tell anyone not to do the RNY, it is a very good surgery and I am still glad I had it originally.  If my stoma had remained relatively small, I wouldnt have needed (or wanted) the revision to the band.  Does that make sence?
traceyls57
on 5/30/08 6:39 am
Thanks for your reply, can you tell me what makes the stoma become enlarged to let the food just sit there fro a few seconds before passing? Tracey
FIREMANTRB
on 5/30/08 6:55 am - OH
Hi Tracey I have had two different surgeons tell me two different reasons for stoma enlargement.  One said it was just something that happens to some, that we cannot do anytihing to make it large.  Another surgeon said it was becuase I ate too much and enlarged it.  Who knows.
(deactivated member)
on 5/10/08 1:05 am
MsCin
on 5/10/08 1:14 am
It is good to know that some folks have already had the lapband after gastric.  I was originally looking at StomaphyX or ROSE but they have been unsucessful and they are out of pocket.  I don't mind paying out of pocket but I want to make sure there are long lasting results.  Next Tuesday the 13th I go see my primary who will be getting the ball rolling by ordering an upper GI to see what is going on in there.  After 14 yrs post-RNY I still have some restrictions on select foods.  I can eat a nice juicy steak but cannot eat chicken...go figure!
PekinSal
on 5/11/08 7:28 am - UK
Don't mean to be a killjoy but you might be more restricted in the types of food you can eat with a band than you are now. I could rarely eat meat or eggs, salad was out, fruit was tricky and cold things impossible. I'm biased, obviously - I had the band and it didnt work for me. It just looks to me like you might be adding a whole new set of band problems to the issues you have with the RNY. Would it be worth finding a surgeon who does extended/distal RNY or DS instead? Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active