Revision from gastric bypass to Lapband?

Kath442
on 5/28/08 6:05 am - Punxsutawney, PA
Hi..   how did you get  insurance to cover a revision?  Was there a specific reason you gave them? I have just started to think about another surgery and would love it if I could get it covered by our insurance. Please let me know.  I'm gaining and I'm scared... and feeling bad about myself. Thanks!
FIREMANTRB
on 5/29/08 10:42 am - OH
My insurance deined my first request, but my surgeon did a peer-to-peer appeal and they reversed their decision.  I had the band placed yesterday.  Feeling good, a little sore, but not bad at all
Arizonadck
on 5/29/08 11:46 pm - Chicago, IL
Congrats!!  Glad it went well!  You had it done lap, correct?  What is the recovery - how long will you be off work?  Keep us posted - hope you have a great losing streak - a permanent one!!
FIREMANTRB
on 5/30/08 4:26 am - OH
Yup, I had it done lap.  My surgeon wasnt sure if he could until the actually surgery.  I had a lot of scar tissue and ahesions, and it took 1 and a half hours instead of the projected 45 minutes.  The recovery is much much easier than I thought (for me that is).  I was up and walking around in less than 5 hours after the surgery and the nurses kept asking me when I was going to have surgery.  When I told them I had it 5 hours ago, they acted shocked .  They kept me for 23 hours for observation and I came home yesterday.  I went with my wife to Walmart and some garage sales this morning and didnt have problem keeping up with her at all.  I'm not going to drive for a few days.  I am not taking any pain meds, dont need them.  I am just a little sore in the belly, but that is it.  When I burp it is a little unconfortable, but no sharp pains.  I am tolerating liquids and will be on full liquids for 6 more days.  I expect to go back to work in 9 days even though I am sure I could go back in a few days if I wanted.  We have decided to go to the Smokey Mountains while I am off and we leave tomorrow.  I am very pleased so far
Arizonadck
on 5/31/08 1:00 am - Chicago, IL
Oh my Goodness!  I5 hours after surgery and you were walking around - must have been pretty normal pace if even the nurses were amazed!   can't believe what I'm reading - you went to Walmart, garage sale, and you're going on vacation - 2 days after surgery!!!  You must be a very strong person because I've never heard of someone doing all that even if it was lap!  How wonderful!!  You must have been so pleased they were able to do it lap!  Another open surgery scares me.  How are you going to manage being on liquids while on vacation though - especially if you're wife is eating in front of you?  You are strong physically and mentally - I just couldn't do it.  How wonderful!  Congrats!!  I wish you all the best!  Have a great vacation - take care - and keep us posted!!  Carolyn
FIREMANTRB
on 6/9/08 10:47 am - OH
Hey Carolyn Sorry it took me a while to respond to your post.  I left for the Smokey Mountains on Saturday and just got back.  All is going well.  I handled the liquids well, but, It was a little tough watching my kids and wife eat the good stuff.  They did feel sorry for me though.  I was able to start soft foods on Thursday, so it got better.
Arizonadck
on 6/10/08 8:18 am - Chicago, IL
Did you have a nice vacation?  Is it too soon to ask if it seems to be working  - weight loss, restriction good?  Are you feeling ok?  Thanks!  Carolyn
FIREMANTRB
on 6/11/08 8:27 am - OH
Hi Carolyn Yes, we had a great vacation!  I am not feeling any restriction now, because they did not put any fill in.  However, I am still on a very limited soft diet so it is doubtful that I would feel any just yet anyway.  I think I have lost at least 10 pounds, but I wont know for sure until monday when I go back for my first followup.  I'm feeling great
Arizonadck
on 6/17/08 10:58 am - Chicago, IL
I'm so glad for you that everything is going well.  And glad you had a great vacation!  You really are an inspiration.  Sorry I haven't responded sooner - I was out of town last week thru yesterday for training (for my job).  I thought it was filled when it's put in...  When do you get it filled?  I went for my upper GI today - my bypass doctor confirmed what the other doctor had told me back in December (when I was going to be part of the ROSE trial period) - that my stoma is wide open.  He said a band over bypass would cinch the stoma somewhat and give me restriction.  And that's all he offers - doesn't do any of the malabsorption revisions.  Reading Dr. Schlesinger's posts (the ABC's of Revisions) - I personally emailed him and he insists the band won't let me lose enough and I should go for the extended RNY.  I want to lose the (now) 40 I gained and another 40 that I had never lost.  Dr. S. said with the band I would only lose 30 or so but w/the ERNY I would lose everything.  I'm letting my bypass doc run it thru insurance to see if they would cover the band just so I know.  Then I'm going to go for a 2nd opinion with a doctor at the Univ of Chgo (I'm told he does all revisions).  It's a long procedure just to get in to see him and I'm so impatient.  It's been almost a year since I initially signed up to do the ROSE.  I'm tired.  How long did you look into it?  And, I don't remember if you told me, did your insurance cover it?  Sorry to go on & on -- I'm very happy for you!  Please keep me posted on your progress!!  Carolyn
Arizonadck
on 6/29/08 11:04 am - Chicago, IL
Hi!  How are you doing?  Your recovery is just so amazing - I think about you!  Keep me posted!  Hope you're feeling great!  Carolyn
Most Active