Insurance says no to sleeve

vgrimli
on 5/5/08 4:03 am - Browns Valley, MN
I had the lapband in October of 2005.  Lost 70 pounds.   Hit a lot of emotional crap last year and gained it back.  Had trouble finding sweet spot. Either too tight or too loose. Doctor suggested sleeve. Insurance says they don't cover that.  Can you do a RNY after a lap band or is there too much of a chance of leakage?

darnell239
on 5/5/08 7:32 am - Columbia, SC
Vicki, Of course, you can convert to the RNY after the lapband.  There are plenty of people on this forum who have been revised from the Lapband to the RNY.
PekinSal
on 5/5/08 8:55 pm - UK
You can have DS after lap band too - I did! I think revisions can be a bit trickier no matter what you revise to, because your stomach has been messed with once before.  You need to find a surgeon who has done revisions to make sure they know what they are doing. I found one who did all the kinds of WLS as well, and he suggested that the malabsorption of the DS would do a better job than just the restriction of the RNY in getting the weight off and keeping it off for life. Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

LeighMcCall
on 5/6/08 2:03 am - South Jersey, NJ
I just posted a similar question. I had the band in 7/06.  My BMI is currently 31ish.  I am still 60-70 pounds from my goal.  The band has been tough for me as well.  The past year I hadn't lost anything - no fills since aug due to continued vomiting.  No clue what to do - stuck in a rut.  I will check your post as well as mine and update you if I find out anything.
vgrimli
on 5/6/08 4:36 am - Browns Valley, MN
Last year was a very rough and hard year to loose weight for me. I am emotional eater and it all started when my husband of 7 years was diagnosed with lung cancer (he is doing fine now). He no more than finished chemo and I ended up with a hysterectomy.  Recovered and my daughter split from the guy she had been living with for 7 years.  But the real kicker was when my doctor told me I failed because I had only lost 70 pounds.  I couldn't get that out of my head---I WAS A FAILURE!  I now have a new doctor who is very, very nice and understanding.  He has been a terrific support this past year, even though I have not lost.  He is willing to work with me and that counts for a lot.  I hope everything works out for you too.

Most Active