Can anyone benefit from my experience?

sopralto
on 5/2/08 6:50 am - WA
I haven't been on this forum for a long time, but see that it is time to share my experiences with you. I have spent alot of my own money to get my body looking good...I won't say thin...but here it is for your entertainment pleasure.  1. 1992 proximal RNY weighed 310lbs lost to 240lbs in about 1 year. Regained to 320lbs over about 8 years. Too embarrassed to seek medical evaluations of why I regained. I only know my pouch and stomach were transected, so no chance of staple line disruption 2. 2006 went to Brazil and had bowel portion of DS done 75cm common channel, RNY pouch left alone. Lost from 300lbs to 230lbs in about 9 months. Had incisional hernia repair. 3. Sept 2007 had Stomaphyx...lost about 8 lbs then regained those. Don't notice any difference in the amount I can eat. Did notice a difference for about 1 month. 4. Feb 2008 had lower body lift, another hernia repair and lipo to outer thighs. Wow! What a difference...I look like a normal sized woman...a size 16 pant to be sure, but proportioned, flat tummy, wowee! PS removed 18 lbs during the procedure plus the thigh lipo. I now weigh 210lbs. goal weight 180. 5. June 2008 scheduled for arm and breast lift. I figured I am just going to be happy with my smaller body, even though I am still considered full figured. \ I figured I've spent about $60,000--the DS malabsorption was the best intervention for me. I really needed that and am maintaining my weight and not worrying about what I eat except to get in protein and vitamins. I exercise 5 days a week and vigorously and eat chocolate.  So, I hope this summary will help any of you who are wondering what others have gone through. I made my own decisions without doctors telling me what I should do....that is the beauty of self pay. My insurance doesn't cover DS, but is covering all my blood tests,etc. I am paying for the body contouring myself. We have been blessed with good finances.
ShayZ
on 5/2/08 8:09 am - Somewhere, TX
I am considering have my RNY converted to DS and am a little frightened by "going away" to have it done, any advice on overcoming those fears and how to handle the docs?
darnell239
on 5/2/08 8:47 am - Columbia, SC
Sopralto, Glad to see you back on the board!  You are fortunate to be blessed with the finances to have these procedures.  Being self-pay gives a person a lot of options.  Be sure to keep your photos updated on your profile I'm sure everyone would like to see your hot new body!
mjc123
on 5/2/08 11:11 am - Midlothian, VA
I haven't been on the board either since my revision from RNY to DS on 3/10/08. My insurance covered the DS THANK GOD. I did however travel from Virginia to New Jersey to have it done. Many people on the DS board have traveled out the country and have a lot of suggestions. I know that it seems scary to travel out of the county, but if I had to self-pay that is EXACTLY what I would do. With revisions to DS, the most important thing is to choose and experienced revision surgeon. In most cases that requires travel. Would I do this again even if I had to self pay? YES. YES. YES.   Mary

Revision Weight Loss Tracker  Mary  

pepsi98
on 5/7/08 8:59 am - Norwich, CT
How did that work?  Did you stay in a hotel after coming out of the hospital?  How long were you in the hospital?  Were you nervous going home not being near your surgeon?
sopralto
on 5/2/08 10:39 pm - WA
Sorry about the pictures, will try today. I am actually really happy how things turned out. My daughter, who had a DS on the same day I did, in Brazil has lost from 330 to 160 and just had a lower body lift. She is 19 yo now. She is like a different girl, from angry depressed teenager to outgoing, happy and THANKFUL young woman. She feels like her life has been saved. So the DS seemed to be the right decision for us. I have offered to help my husband and son to get the VSG if they decide to do something about their weight. (Hubby is on Weigh****chers again...bless his heart)
Most Active