?? Revision Questions ??

rozannadanna
on 4/29/08 1:12 pm - Pensacola, FL
Hi everyone, I've read many of your posts but this is the first post for me. I have a couple of  questions that I hope someone can help me with. I have had an upper GI and EGD and went to my doctor today to hear the results. He said that my pouch and stoma had stretched  and after evaluation he was very positive suggested doing a DS.  During our discussion he misread my original weight before my first surgery and thought it said 283 lbs not 383 lbs. He thought that I'd gained almost all of my weight back as my current weight is around 270 lbs.   When I pointed it out to him he seemed to change his opinion on what he could do and what results I should expect. He said my 1st surgery was considered a success based on my original weight and what I had lost.   I'm confused why it would matter what my original weight was since I'm still far from my ideal weight. I stilll have the same co-morbidies of high blood pressure, high cholestrol, joint pain, etc. In the beginning he made it sound like the surgery would be successful and highly recommended it.  Then after realizing my initial weight he sounded less optimistic. He said that I should only expect to lose around 40 to 60 lbs. He did say that he would perform the surgery but he gave me the impression that I shouldn't get my hopes up.   I left the appointment feeling very confused because of how he changed his opinion and what I should expect from getting a revision.   Any comments would be appreciated.
PekinSal
on 4/29/08 10:21 pm - UK
Sounds a bit odd to me - I know that the heavier you start the faster you lose, but like you say its not like you're 10 pounds over your target weight. I'm a revision too, not far from your current weight and my surgeon just took one look at me and said 'oh you'll be normal weight within a year, no doubt about it' - nearly fell off my chair but it sounds good to me. Perhaps post on the DS board and see if there's anyone with a similar story that could help out? Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Janelle S.
on 4/30/08 1:00 am - Metairie, LA
I would get another opion from a DS surgeon. I consulted with a bariatric surgeon who told me I was a success at 300+ lbs because I lost over 100lbs. It didn't make sense to me either.

happy girl
on 4/30/08 1:54 am
I too think it's about % and #'s of weight lost.  He see's how much you have lost from your original start weight and thinks/knows that you are successful. Statistically speaking, revisions are much riskier and the amout of weight loss is less and rate of weight loss much slower.  He's probably weighing the risks Vs what you you would get out of it (in his mind) and may not think the risks are worth it. do you know how many revisions he has done or how many DS's he had done?  IMO, you want someone really experienced and really committed to giving you the best care possible. Good luck

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

ShayZ
on 4/30/08 3:50 am - Somewhere, TX

I feel your pain. I went to a dr last week for a consult and he told me basically the same thing that my surgey was considered a sucess because I had lost 67% of the excess fat and the average is 75%.  He said that because of that and the fact that I had only gained enough to put me 48%, the surgery he was proposing was only going to give another 20-30 lbs even though I am 90 lbs overweight.    I am going to look into it and investigate because who wants to go through surgery for basically nothing?

rozannadanna
on 4/30/08 10:07 am - Pensacola, FL
Thank you everyone for your replies.  I guess right now all I can do is wait to see what BC/BS has to say since the doctor is going to try and get approval based on his findings and my current health problems due to being overweight.   He told me that he has done between 75 & 100 revisions and as far as I know he's had good results.  It's the pits that everything is still up in the air and I think, is surgery a good idea after yesterday's appointment?   I agree, why go through all that to only lose a few pounds, but I'm so  tired of carrying around all this extra weight. I've tried everything and nothing's worked. This is my last hope and I'd sure like to lose 100 lbs and prove my doctor wrong!  Roz RNY, 9-22-02
Susie221
on 5/1/08 9:28 am - UK

Hi ,just thought I would let you know my story

I had my Rny in Nov 2006 ,I lost for the first 6 months only,  and then a few pounds later the next year , I started off at 298 and have got to 215

I am going to have a revision and saw my surgeon today ,he also told me that I shouldnt expect the same weight loss as first time around,and I may not even lose any weight at all ,I am having the pouch/outlet redone ,he reckons that the lowest weight I may get to is 180lbs ,but not to have hopes of that even  I am now wondering if its worth having surgery again for this amount. I am in the UK and we dont really have a choice ,only what is offered by certain surgeons Susie x

rozannadanna
on 5/13/08 10:35 am - Pensacola, FL

Susie, Have you decided to go ahead with the surgery?

I just found out today, I've been APPROVED!  I feel like I'm getting a second chance and I'm going to prove my doctor wrong by losing 100#. Best of luck to you on your decision. Roz

Most Active