I just want to cry

Bobette I.
on 4/29/08 11:35 am - Imperial Beach, Ca
I haven't been on here in a VERY LONG TIME! I had gastric bypass, oh geez about 6 or 7 years ago (I think it was 7) and here I am on my way BACK to where I came from! I was a size 24/26 and weighed 301 at the time of surgery and am now a size 18 and weigh 221 as of last week with a visit to my Dr's. I feel like a failure.   My life has changed SO much in the last 7 yrs. I had the surgery and of course that was something in itself to get used to! I had a great marrage and 3 beautiful kids. Well needless to say things happened and I left my husband and became an alcoholic. I was going out nightly and living the life so I thought! Luckily my husband and I have remained friends and he is a great support system to me. I have finally gotten insurance (bless my husband's heart for putting me on his!) and am considering some sort of revision. I know nothing about it and thought I'd come back to where I started and get some help.  Just so ya know...I have fibromyalgia and take meds for that...which doesn't help me and my eatting....one of the dang side effects is weight gain! Plus I have quit drinking (1 year sober now!) and also quit smoking (8 months in the making) I still eat good 90% of the time...oatmeal with raisens for breakfast, a spinach salad w/chicken for lunch....very little junk...so I'm not sure what is going on. But I didn't have the surgery to get fat again! And with the fibro it's very hard to excersize. But I do walk as much as I can. I'm so frustrated and depressed Bobette Thanks for listening and letting me vent!
~~Sami~~ *.
on 4/29/08 1:44 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Bobette: I'll be seven years out in June from a Lap-Band. :) Check with your husband's insurance and see what their requirements are for a revision.  Some make you go through a six-month diet, etc.   In terms of options... you can have a Band over your pouch, have your RNY made more distal, or go for a DS.  You could also look into one of the experimental procedures like ROSE, EROS, or StomaphyX. (Lots of threads on this board.) Before you do all that, try the 5 day pouch test.  www.5daypouchtest.com It's free, and seems to help a lot of long-term bariatric patients get back on track! Good luck :)

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

darnell239
on 4/29/08 9:02 pm - Columbia, SC
Bobbette, First, of all I commend you for pulling your life back together.  You have an awesome husband!  Call your insurance policy and ask if they cover revision surgery.  The next step is find a doctor who is experienced with performing revisions.  The doctor will probably make you under go test to make sure your tool is functioning.  From there the doctor can advice what is the best choice for you.  Good luck girl and I know what you are going through!
(deactivated member)
on 4/30/08 5:21 am - TX
You're not alone.  There are lots of us who had the RNY and regained all, if not more, of our weight. Luckily for you that you live in CA where some of the best DS revision surgeons are. Dr. Husted Dr. Keshishkan Dr. J Rabkin I just didn't want my RNY fixed so it could possibly break on me again.
larra
on 5/2/08 11:28 am - bay area, CA

Bobette, you have really been through a lot in the last few years, and I am so impressed with all you have done to overcome your problems and improve your health and your life.     I can't claim to know what is the best next step for you, but would encourage you to do lots of research and learn about all your options. You have the good fortune to live in CA, where we have some of the best DS revision surgeons, so that might be an option for you. Come on over to the DS board and learn about it! You will find lots of well informed people who will answer any questions you may have about what life is like with the DS.      If you would like, you can pm me with your email address and I'll send you an excellent article on revisions to the DS from other bariatric operations.  Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Larra

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/08 2:34 am
Most Active