Night time Reflux issues

Grandma Blue Eyes
on 4/28/08 9:25 pm - Brick, NJ
I was wondering if anyone else had same issues as me.  I had lapband in 7/2006.  I lost 80 pounds and then started having really bad night time reflux.  I was fine all day but the reflux at night was bad and I did all the things we are told to do, no eating 3 hours before sleep, raise the head of your bed., etc.  I was unfilled and gained back 13 pounds.  I became disillusioned becaise I couldn't use the tool of my choice.  The surgeon said my hiatal hernia could be the culprit even though it appeared small at the time of my original surgery so he didn't address it.  I had the hiatal hernia done on 3/31/08 and the surgeon was going to do a new lap band if necessary.  He said it wasn't necessary so just addressed the hernia.  I had the upper GI after surgery and all went down.  I am presently unfilled and now at night, guess what, the reflux is back!  I"m so disappointed - anyone with similar issues?

PekinSal
on 4/29/08 12:32 am - UK
I had similar problems Donna - the most annoying thing was my band only loosened up enough to eat much around 7pm, so I had a 30 minute 'window' to eat every day or get reflux! I can't cope with lack of sleep, and I always worried I would choke, so I know how you feel. Have you tried tablets for it at all? I know you can get ones (theyre called omeprazole here but something else in the US) and they reduce the amount of reaction in your stomach. A hot clear drink like herbal tea helped sometimes too. Hope you get some relief Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Grandma Blue Eyes
on 4/29/08 11:29 am - Brick, NJ
Thanks for answering.  I'm on Aciphex twice a day.  I'm just disgusted because I had the hiatal hernia surgery so I can be refilled but I'm still experiencing reflux at night and I know they won't fill me then.  The doctor offered to do the RNY while we were going back in to do the hernia surgery.  He said he would do a band revision too but he said my band was in a perfect place and it was fine and in place so he just did the hernia.  I said no to the RNY because I thought that I'd have the hernia fixed and get filled and all would be right with the world but now I'm agraid I made a mistake!!!

MARCIAM
on 4/29/08 8:30 am - Sayville, NY
I have been having constant reflux since Easter Sunday. I am currently go through all of the clearances for RNY. Last Thursday my surgeon took out half of the saline in my band but I still have reflux all day and all night! I had an abdominal ultrasound down that found may gallstones. Tomorrow I'm going back because the partial unfill didn't help at all. I'm afraid that I will gain back a lot of weight while I wait for the rest of my appointments. Next Monday I am having an endoscopy.
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

Grandma Blue Eyes
on 4/29/08 11:31 am - Brick, NJ
Thanks for answering.  I just want to lose more weight!  I want to get my lap band filled and working again but I know they won't fill me if I continue to the night reflux.  I'm fine during the day but everynight the reflux is back!

Connib
on 4/29/08 4:16 pm - Vernon , Canada
I had reflux so bad I had to sleep sitting up, I would wake up choking and in a panic. I now take Previcid and have not had one attack of relfux. I was also a 20 - 20 rolaids a day person. Since the Previcid I have not had one. I  have a VGB and very larger hiatial hernia, which they tell me I got from having the band. I am now in the process waiting for surgery to fix the hernia at the same time have a RNY. You might want to ask your doc about the Previcid. Good luck
Grandma Blue Eyes
on 4/29/08 10:04 pm - Brick, NJ
Thank you for answering.  I had the hernia when I had the lapband surgery but it was too small to be addressed at that point.  I want this to work so bad but I'm kicking myself now for not considering the RNY when he went in to do the hernia - he offered.  I thought after the hernia surgery, I would be fine but it is 3 weeks out and I'm still having reflux at night - not as bad but it is still there.

PekinSal
on 4/29/08 10:15 pm - UK
Don't beat yourself up though Donna, we have to trust what surgeons tell us, which is all you did. Is there any chance your reflux might calm down after time? Perhaps ask your surgeon when you can expect to see a difference - it might take time to heal or bed in or something. Failing that revisions aren't the end of the world - look into DS too if you go down that route. Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

littleguy
on 5/1/08 4:56 am
TRY GAVISCON TABLETS, 2 before bed. Chew them well and sip some water. let it foam in mouth before swallowing.
Most Active