VBG to Sleeve

Connib
on 4/28/08 1:59 am - Vernon , Canada
Has anyone gone from the VBG to the Gastric Sleeve, or is this possible.  I had thought I had done all my research and made my mind up for RNY. Then talked to several people who had the sleeve done. I want to make the best decision for myself and so I am looking for advice and information.  Thank you Conni
keenergel
on 4/28/08 2:43 am - OH
It is possible as I am looking to go that route myself.  I haven't got a date set yet though.  Good luck on whatever you decide to do.  Don't ignore DS either.  It is probably the best for long term results.
beth75
on 4/29/08 5:19 am - Brownsboro, AL
Definitely look into the DS.  The malabsorption aspect gives you the best long term results as with all the restrictive proceedures, they tend to stretch out over time.  Before you put yourself through a revision, do your homework.  I went from the RNY to the DS.  It was a big surgery, but the stats are the best with the DS long term.  I've done much better than I ever did with the RNY and I know the restriction only would never be enough for me to maintain my weight loss. Beth
Beth75           Slow and Steady wins the race!     
  Open Revision RNY to DS  AT GOAL  I LOVE MY DS

larra
on 5/2/08 11:35 am - bay area, CA
Hi, Conni!    There are lots of controversies in the world of WLS, but people seem to agree that anyone who has not succeeded with one restrictive operation - which you have now - is not going to succeed with a different restrictive operation, which is what you would have with the sleeve.     Your chances are far better with an operation that combines restriction witih malabsorption, which means DS or RNY. DS has the advantages of the sleeve in terms of normal emptying of the stomach, no dumping, etc., along with significant malabsorption, which helps with both weight loss and maintainence of that weight loss.      I would encourage you to research all your options thoroughly, and in particular to come on over to the DS board and learn more about it. We have a number of folks there who have been revised from VBG to DS (and some from RNY to DS as well). Ask questions and learn all you can, and make the informed decision that is best for you. If you would like an excellent article on revisions from other operations to the DS you can pm me and I will be glad to send it to you.     Best of luck!     Larra
Most Active