Stomaphyx

Mark M.
on 4/28/08 12:07 am - Tinley Park, IL
Going to have Stomaphys procedure done in Pontiac Michigan with Dr. Pleatman on Thursday, I  read this forum all the time and decided to post.  I am 7 years post up open RNY and gained about 40 pounds of of 120 lost in the last couple of years.  Don't want to put on the rest so going to give this a try.  He is also going to give me Sclerotherapy with it.  I am a glass half full guy, if I didn't have the RNY 7 years ago I know I would have gained another 100 pounds plus, so things aren't that bad.
linda249
on 4/28/08 1:34 am - xenia, IL
sounds like your Dr. is up on the procedure of the sclerotherapy that is what I had done almost two weeks ago and he said this is something that you can have done more than one time if needed he said I may need it more than once but he also said it can be stretched back out if need be if it gets too tight    or something but he said no problem with that
Mark M.
on 4/28/08 1:39 am - Tinley Park, IL
I didn't even ask him about the Sclerotherapy he said the Dr. (Wakami) who trained him said that he was going to start using it on his patients so I guess Dr. Pleatman is going to do the same, so it must be a trend or something, a way of making the Stomaphyx more successful, I don't know.  I am looking forward to how this all works.  It would be nice to get that full feeling and the feeling of not wanting to eat back, at least for a little while!
MsCin
on 4/28/08 2:17 am

Good luck Mark.  My brother is going for his consult with Pleatman on Wed and if all goes well surgery as well on Thursday.   I have done tons of research on the surgeons themselves and Pleatman is one of the best, if not THE best in the country.   Keep us updated on your progress.

Mark M.
on 4/28/08 2:28 am - Tinley Park, IL
Sounds like we are right next to each other, my consult is on Wednesday at 4, procedure on Thrusday at 10:45 and follow up on Friday at 11, I wish him luck, although this is supposed to be a low key procedure.  Let me know how his turns out and I will do the same.
MsCin
on 4/30/08 11:29 am, edited 4/30/08 11:33 am
Good luck tomorrow Mark...Hope all goes well!!! My brother seen Pleatman today and because my brother had a pin size hole leading into the stomach he thought he couldn't do the surgery. Pleatman said he could do the surgery and when he is in there repair the old staple line.  My brother is estatic!  He will be scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks. As for me I finally got my medical records from my first surgeon.  I see my primary on May 13th at which time he will order the Upper GI.  Then I am off to see Pleatman.  Looking to have stomaphyx done sometime in June. (keeping my fingers crossed)
snailplus
on 5/7/08 10:40 am - FL
I had my original RNY in 1998. I went from 305 to 145. After 4+ years the weight started to go up. I went up and down until in 8/07 I had both a Stomaphyx and a revision to a distal RNY (open). I started at 238 and am down 70 lbs and holding. Can eat much more then after original RNY but no vomiting or other complications.  I was afraid of DS so I never looked to see if my insurance would cover it. My insurance would NOT cover the Stomaphyx ALONE so I found  a surgeon that recommended having both the revision and the Stomaphyx. I am very happy with my decision and I hope I can maintain my current weight of 168. I have been thinner but would be thrilled to maintain this weight.
CFR
on 6/18/08 11:36 pm - FL

Hi Mark I've  been checking the form see if you posted your outcome. Was the procedure sucessful. Where there any problems? Did Mr. Pleatmann do both procedures? How do you feel? I am interested it this! Thank you Connie

Fatmamma
on 4/28/08 5:56 am - Austin, TX

I had my surgery in May of 03 and had to have a revision in june of 06 do to a procedure that was not done correctly the first time.  I have gained 50 of the 100 I lost back and the Dr feels that a Stomaphx would work for me.  I was hoping that some part of this would be covered by insurance but they are still looking into that.   Do you know anyone who has had this procedure already done??

Mark M.
on 4/28/08 6:03 am - Tinley Park, IL
No, not a soul.  I am basing my decision mainly from this board and what I could find on a google search.  I found Dr. Pleatman's name on this site and since I am out of pocket and he was the closet to my house (300 miles) I choose him.  He offered the the Sclerotherapy which I knew nothing about.   He has done a lot of procedures so I am sure he is fine.  My original Doc went bankrupt, thought bariatric surgery was the way to fame and fortune and his partner hasn't started doing them yet so Dr. Pleatman was the man.
Most Active