Revision Help :Should I or shouldnt I :Your comments please

Susie221
on 4/27/08 3:38 am, edited 4/27/08 3:44 am - UK
I am due to see my surgeon this week and discuss dates for my surgery I will either be having a complete redo of pouch and outlet OR silastic band ..depending on scar tissue /what he finds when inside My family have now said to me why go through another procedure to lose the last 40- 50 pounds ,why cant I be happy with what has been lost (  80lbs ) originally  298 lbs I  have also developed a heart complaint called A-Fib ( which is a heart beat irregularity ) I am now going on Warfarin,as having this can give higher risk to stroke ,Warfarin will have to be stopped 2 weeks before any surgery as it thins the blood. Question is I am now doubting myself why I want the revision so much,why cant I be happy with what I have lost,even though I am still fat at 216 lbs and 5ft 3in, am I putting myself through surgery and might die during revision as revision is higher risk than original op, would you do it ? or would you leave it and not risk having another operation?  I am confused big time ,I dont want to die trying to be slim ,if that makes sense ? Your comments are appreciated  Also I am 53 this year . Susie x
nnnancy
on 4/27/08 11:13 am - Peyton, CO
Hi, Susie!   I'm glad you'll be talking to your doc about this ~ it sounds complex! What are the risks of being off your Warfarin? Of remaining overweight? Do you still have other co-morbidities that further weight-loss could help resolve? In the States there is a new procedure for fixing a stretched pouch/stoma, called Stomaphyx. It is non-invasive and very safe, done in the dr.'s office, and highly successful, from what I hear. You might check into it.     Good Luck!!

Nancy

Susie221
on 4/27/08 10:15 pm - UK
My surgeon will not do StomaphyX as the results are not that worthwhile ,and I already have a "distal" or "extended" Rny as it is
linda249
on 4/28/08 1:21 am - xenia, IL
there is an alternative to the stomaphyX and that is called scleratherapy it is an injection into the stoma that causes the stoma to scar up thus causing it to decease in size my Dr. Scott at DePaul Helth Center in Bridgeton Mo. said it is less invasive that the stomaphyX and the has had better results with this procedure and I have lost 10 to 11 lbs. since I had it done on April 16th 2008 here is their phone no. if you would need to get information about this  1-314-344-6800 HE DID AN ENDOSCOPY AND FOUND THE STOMA HAD STRETCHED. My email is [email protected]
Most Active