My revision and repair

ellton
on 4/25/08 4:58 am, edited 5/13/09 11:53 pm

UPDATE 05/14/09:

I learned shortly after this surgery that I did it was not a revision after all--nothing was bypassed as I had been lead to beleive.  I read my operative report and learned that a hernia was removed and that the esopheal spincture muscle was repaired, only.  That was it.  I was wholly disappointed but determined to have a revision. 

A woman read over this post and sent a horribly abusive email to me.  I'm not going to give her an audience so I will not reveal who she is...however my lesson learned was that I need to be clear that I understand what is going to be done during surgery.  

Hello everyone.  I wanted to update you all on my status..

I had surgery on Thursday, March 27th.  The day before surgery I had a pre-op chest x-ray.  The Radiologist noted that I had a unidentifiable mass in my chest.  She suggested that I schedule a CT.  I thought then, “another thing to worry about" and I’d planned to have it done after surgery.

Surgery went well the next morning.  I had a lot of adhesions along with a huge hiatial hernia the size of a fist.  I also learned that my esopheal spincture muscle wasn’t working.  It should open “and close" on its own.  Further, the opening should only be the size of a quarter, mine was 10 times that size.  I have pictures ;0).  As a result of the spincture muscle not closing I was having a terrible time with reflux.  Also, my pouch was sitting in the middle of my chest.  So, guess what the unidentiable mass in my chest was…you guessed it, my pouch.

I also had that huge hernia.  My food was going into my pouch and in the hernia.  I’d gained so much weight during the previous 4 months and now we know why.

My surgeon removed about 4 feet of intestine and had to redo the formation of the RNY.  He did not make my pouch smaller as he stated that my pouch was really small.  He reattached the intestine to the pouch.  Still, I feel more restriction then I did before. 

Before surgery I weighed 227.  I’m now at 209.  Yesterday was my 4th week out.  So that’s 4.5 pounds a week.  I need to start running again to keep up the weight loss.

One distressing problem was with the glue that was used to close up my incisions.  I had an allergic reaction to the glue and that was a huge bother, but all is well now.

Overall, I don't think that I had a revision but more of a repair.  He needed to re-attach my intestine to my pouch after removing 4 feet of inflammed intestines.  Something tells me that he may have streamlined me and put me closer to a distal RNY than I was.  

While recovering I had to do the liquids and soft food diet.  I'm going to exercise and follow the rules and get the heck out of the 200's.  I need to stay out and really take care of myself.  I can't keep going under the knife its just to stressful on me and my family in so many ways.  I met with a nutrionist and I will take things one day ata a time.

Have a great day!

T

UPDATE:

I learned shortly after this surgery that I did it was not a revision after all--nothing was bypassed as I had been lead to beleive.  I read my operative report and learned that a hernia was removed and that the esopheal spincture muscle was repaired, only.  That was it.  I was wholly disappointed but determined to have a revision. 

A woman read over this post and sent a horribly abusive email to me.  I'm not going to give her an audience so I will not reveal who she is...however my lesson learned was that I need to be clear that I understand what is going to be done during surgery.  

Hondurian Queen
on 4/25/08 5:51 am - BOSTON, MA
so happy to hear that all is going well for you that is a huge weight loss for 4 weeks out keep up the good work

Strawberry2
on 4/25/08 10:09 am
congrays Tonya - wishing all the best -Jo
ginau
on 4/25/08 4:26 pm - mesa, AZ
Wow  Glad to hear your doing so much better, keep us up to date on your  loss.
ALABAMA
on 4/27/08 2:27 am - STONE MOUNTAIN, GA
Tanya, I am so glad to here from you.  Glad everything work out for your good with this revision. keep us posted of your sucess
Ann_Hedonia
on 4/28/08 10:47 pm - Madison, VA
Revision on 06/10/08 with
Congratulations on your success, and thank you for posting how the procedure went!
MsDeniseinPA
on 4/29/08 5:41 am - PA
glad to hear that it all worked out for you.
smittygirl
on 9/4/08 5:05 pm - Bridgeport, CT
Hi Tonya, haven't heard from you in a long while and was wondering what's going on with you. I truly hope all is well. God bless you. Shana
Most Active