United Health Care

cathyjo8
on 4/25/08 3:32 am - Santa Maria, CA
I have had Blue Cross of Ca. (now Anthem) for all my surgeries and haven't ever had a trouble being approved for one.(RYN, two hernia repairs, tummy tuck, etc.) Now I have United Healthcare through my husband and I've been talking to my doctor about a possible revision and wanted to known if anyone has this insurance carrier and how was it to get an approval? Thank you
lizzythompson
on 4/25/08 2:42 pm - Denton, TX
Cathy,  I have UHC and was approved for my revision in about 3 weeks. Because of my employer I had to provide 5 years worth of recorded BMI over 40, which didn't have to be consecutive years, so was easy to get. The particulars will be set by your hubby's employer.
Nita S.
on 4/26/08 7:47 am - Avondale, AZ
Hi Elizabeth, I am a full time lurker, and come out every now and then to ask questions.  I too have UHC Insurance, I was wondering if all UHC work the same.  If that is the case, than I can get a 5 year BMI over 40 for the years before I had my original RNY (in 2000) and maybe that would qualify me.  That is the reason that they turned me down was the 5 year history.  Do you think that could be a possibility??? 

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

lizzythompson
on 4/26/08 8:36 am - Denton, TX

Every policy will vary according to what the employer wants to pay for, but if your policy has a 5 year weight history of BMI over 40, they don't care what years. If you have one year right now, and 4 years from before your original surgery, then you have 5 years. They only need one weight from each year, so have your doctor find your highest weight  for each year. I included my pre rny weight in my 5 year history and after they got it they approved me in 3 days. Keep me posted!!!! Lizzy

Nita S.
on 5/1/08 12:19 am - Avondale, AZ
Thanks Lizzy,  I went to my PCP yesterday and she is getting together all the information from pre surgery to send to the insurance.. it makes sence, as showing that the weight goes up and down is why I need the revision so I can finaly keep it stable.  It never would have occured to me to use various years, so i thank you for one more way to try and get an approval.  Nita

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

lizzythompson
on 5/1/08 1:20 am - Denton, TX
I am happy to help!!! Keep me posted on how it goes!!

Sandra C.
on 4/25/08 11:16 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I live in Az and was approved for a revision in 2 weeks. It is depending on how much coverage your employer pays for. The only thing I had to pay out of pocket was my $1000 deductible, and yes they wanted the whole amount before surgery. Good luck to you!
Most Active