Lapband over RNY???

Paula Prichard
on 5/19/08 12:38 pm - Kingman, AZ
Yes. Dr. Gitt in Phoenix is doing my brachioplasty, high volume lipo to hips and thighs, and breast reduction and lift June 2nd and if my insurance approves it in time, Dr. Schlesinger will step in and do my revision at the same time.

Open RNY 1/24/02               First Post-op Baby: Roman Michael 3/29/06                                    
TT w/ Hernia Repair 7/03     Second Post-op Baby: Aurora Marie 1/15/08
LapBand on Pouch 11/06     Breast Reduction/Thigh Lipo/Brachioplasty 6/08
JaniceChez
on 5/19/08 3:38 am - Brooklyn, NY

I am currently looking into revisional surgery. I had the RNY March 2006, lost 87lbs by October 2006 but then had to have an emergency ovarian cystectomy that left me immobile for two months with an open wound. Since "falling off the wagon" I gained  back 35lbs and cannot get it off to save my life and am now scared that I am on the road to gaining it all back, in addition to worsening my type diabetes once again. I had an upper endoscopy just last week and was told by my doctor that I am a great candidate for the "stomaphyx"....well only to find out today that Oxford no longer covers the procedure. My next option will now be the Lapband over the RNY. Does anyone know the success rate of this procedure? I know a few who have had the Lap band, but not over the RNY. I was always skeptical of the Lap Band as I am not 100% secure having such a device permanently inserted in my body....if that makes any sense.  Any input is much appreciated.  -Janice

charleston-mom
on 5/19/08 4:06 am
I'd stay away from the band if I were you. I almost lost my life to the band and don't recommend it in any way, shape or form. I had two slips and erosion. I don't honestly think it's safe.
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 7:17 am - AZ
On May 19, 2008 at 11:06 AM Pacific Time, charleston-mom wrote:
I'd stay away from the band if I were you. I almost lost my life to the band and don't recommend it in any way, shape or form. I had two slips and erosion. I don't honestly think it's safe.
While I understand what you are saying, if someone has had RNY their options are limited, aren't they? DS ... that can potentially be more dangerous than the band and the side effects?  Not me. Stomaphyx... that doesn't seem effective from what LITTLE I have read here, Doesn't that pretty much leave a band? I think if people are researching we shouldn't talk them out of a band, they aren't dangerous across the board but they have the same levels of danger in SOME cases as all the other procedures. I think a band is safer than obesity in the long haul. I am neither pro nor anti band, I'm pro .... do whatever you have to and get the weight off. I think for someone like you or I it is easy to say banding is dangerous.  Well, it isn't always dangerous, it is rarely dangerous, but it has the potential. Banding works for some and not others.  If someone has had bypass and options are limited, banding is safer than obesity.
charleston-mom
on 5/19/08 7:35 am
I suppose that is true. Morbid obesity is terribly dangerous so you are correct in that, that's for sure! I'm a hard one to talk to about the band because I just can't get past the fact that I almost lost my life to it, but any obesity surgery can be dangerous. Luckily, incidents like mine are few and far between. I'll keep you in all my prayers that you will be in the majority and not have any problems at all!
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 7:44 am - AZ
Oh, I won't be having "more" band problems, mine is coming out 6/3 in favor of a sleeve. ;o) I think when you have been through bad times with the band it is hard not to warn people about it but quite frankly, there are some people that it is their best option.  I lost 100% of my excess weight with the band, weight loss is possible but it probably takes more effort than any other WLS type out there. You chose RNY and you see, that's something I don't get.  I can't wrap my brain around that one.  Why not a sleeve?  If you have already been through hell and back with WLS, why not pick the option with the fewest complications?  That's my thinking, not saying it should be yours.  My point is that we all come to WLS from our own perspectives and we are very much a part of our own history.  Change our history and you change our views. Your history was unique and unusual, but not anymore deadly that what could happen with another WLS type.  Banding isn't for you, it isn't for me either and I think when people like us have had banding issues it's hard to put that aside and remember that thus far, we are two of the few with complications as severe as ours.  It isn't the norm by any stretch.  Complications with band... yes, they are the norm.  Serious complications are not the norm.  I have to keep reminding myself of that. Except for this forum, I try not to state my opinion unless a thread is begging for it.  If a newbie asks if I would do it again, nope.  I wouldn't.  But if nobody asks, I try not to voice my opinions.  But that's me, we are all different.
charleston-mom
on 5/19/08 7:56 am
I agree - but I'm not the only one that expressed opinions about the band in this thread. The other one, that you and I were on, the OP asked specifically for long term information, good and bad. Typically, I don't pipe up. I didn't pick the sleeve because my doctor told me he didn't feel it worked quite as well long-term and I really really wanted to get the weight off. Also, the other doctor that I talked to said he's waiting to see what the long term results will be for the sleeve. It reminded me a little of the old vertical banded gastroplasties and I didn't want a purely restrictive procedure. I guess I felt like I already had that with the band. Since my procedure though, I've been hearing some pretty good things about it, so I think they are finding it may be a really good option. I just was afraid of being another "test case" like I was with the band and I wanted something kind of "tried and true," if that makes sense. I'm hearing good things about the sleeve now though!
(deactivated member)
on 5/19/08 8:02 am - AZ
I know you were asked for opinions on the other thread and as you may recall, I backed you up on that one. I wasn't speaking to you directly in my previous post, sorry if it came off that way.  I was speaking for me most of all. I just have to find a way to balance my history with the excitement of newbies.  I don't want to be a downer so I try to keep my mouth shut and my typing fingers taped unless I am asked. ;o) But really, what options do failed RNY folks have?  Band or DS for the most part.  DS ... no way.  I honestly think I'd rather be fat, that procedure is not MY cup of tea.  If it is between obesity, DS, or a band, I'd choose a band hands down.
charleston-mom
on 5/19/08 8:11 am
I would too!
Most Active