Lapband over RNY???

nan c
on 4/24/08 10:05 am - Brooklyn, NY

Hi All, Has anyone had any success with a lapband over a RNY??? I am almost 3-yrs post-op and had lost 120-lbs. In the past year I put on about 10-lbs, The problem is - I'm still considered obese according to my BMI. I never reached an average weight. I have about 80-lbs to go to be the right weight for my height. I also still have sleep apnea. My insurance company will probably try to fight it and it will be an uphill battle to get it approved. My question is - is it worth it? Before I go through major (laproscopic) surgery again. About how much weight have people lost with a lapband over a pouch??? Thanks Nan-C 

MaryTeresa
on 4/24/08 1:37 pm - Loveland, OH
My insurence was going to cover Lap over RNY however I found out with my EGD that my pouch is too small for the lap so I have to look at DS to fix my proble with my stoma and weight gain. Good luck
nan c
on 4/25/08 8:50 am - Brooklyn, NY
Hi MaryTeresa, I'm on the EROS wait list (same as the ROSE study). It seems that my pouch is wide, not deep. So the surgeon is waiting for additional instruments from the company that would make it easier to work with. He suggested putting a lapband on my pouch. Personally I'd never heard of doing that. That would not be part of the study and my insurance company would have to pick it up. I don't mind going through the insurance battle, but I want to find out how successful it is. I'm hoping for a loss of 40 or more pounds. Have you heard anything positive? I'm not sure about doing the DS.  Thanks for any input and good luck to you as well. Nan-c
MaryTeresa
on 4/25/08 9:46 am - Loveland, OH
I heard it works however I cant get it done due to the size of my pouch is too small so I need the DS
Paula Prichard
on 4/26/08 12:11 am - Kingman, AZ
DONT DO IT!!!!!!! I had the band put on my pouch in November of 2006. I have lost weight due to surgery induced bulimia. I throw up all the time. I am currently seeking a new surgeon to remove this horrid device. It doesn't matter how filled or unfilled it is. It brought back my horrible acid reflux and some days I can eat anything and others I can't even keep liquids down. I'd go for more intestine bypassed or a DS. I think the band may be good as an original surgery for the non-super morbid obese, but not for a revision.

Open RNY 1/24/02               First Post-op Baby: Roman Michael 3/29/06                                    
TT w/ Hernia Repair 7/03     Second Post-op Baby: Aurora Marie 1/15/08
LapBand on Pouch 11/06     Breast Reduction/Thigh Lipo/Brachioplasty 6/08
nan c
on 4/29/08 11:50 am - Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for sharing your experiences with lapband over pouch. I never liked the idea when the doctor spoke to me about it months ago. I developed barretts tissue, damage from acid reflux, after the pouch and have to take nexium everyday since. If a band over the pouch could give me even further damage, then I'm not for that procedure; especially since the acid damage has the possibility of developing into cancer. I wish you the best in your revision.
Paula Prichard
on 4/29/08 3:08 pm - Kingman, AZ
I am worried that I have developed that as well.... I have an appointment May 9th with Dr. Schlesinger (sorry if I butchered the name) in Phoenix. I am hoping we can remove the band and just bypass more intestine since I have a small pouch but hardly any intestine bypassed. Good luck to you and stay away from the band.

Arizonadck
on 5/19/08 4:17 am - Chicago, IL
Hi - how did your appt with Dr. S. go?  Anything decided yet?  My bypass doc offered to do my revision - but a band over RNY - he won't do any add'l malapsorption surgery.  But after reading Dr. S's posts and everyone else on this forum I'm hoping to do an Extended Rny.  I haven't even approached insurance yet.  Let me know how you're doing.  Carolyn
Paula Prichard
on 5/19/08 5:33 am - Kingman, AZ
It went well. I really like him and he sounds like he knows what he is talking about regardig revisions. I HATE the band over my bypass.... I am hopefully having the extended rny June 2nd during my plastics. I'll let ya know if my insurance approves it.

Arizonadck
on 5/19/08 9:35 am - Chicago, IL

Everyone raves about him.  I wish I lived in Arizona - my dream is to retire there (you can tell by my username that I like it). What do you mean you'll have it done during your plastics?  Plastic surgery? 

Most Active