Hooray - approved for revision

Ann_Hedonia
on 4/24/08 1:04 am - Madison, VA
Revision on 06/10/08 with
I received a call today that my insurance will cover a revision for me, and my date is June 10th.  I had a RNY in 2003 and my surgeon left town; I was unable to find followup care due to Dr's offices worrying about liability.  Anyway, I gained back the 100 lbs I lost PLUS 35 more.  I am very grateful for a second chance.
Nancy K.
on 4/24/08 3:16 am - Joliet, IL
Just out of curiosity what WLS are you being revised to??
Ann_Hedonia
on 4/24/08 10:24 pm - Madison, VA
From a RNY back to a RNY...with the (I can't remember the proper name) "pleating" procedure on the esophageal opening.  I also had a surgical clip left in me from my former WLS that needs fishing out...
Cheryl Gebbie
on 4/24/08 4:33 am - Knoxville, TN
who is your insurance through
Ann_Hedonia
on 4/24/08 10:22 pm - Madison, VA
It's through Anthem, Virginia State Employee COVA care plan.
Heidineub
on 4/24/08 6:38 am
Hi, when I read your post I thought I was reading my story. I had open RNY in 1999. I lost about 120 pounds. However after about 16 months the weight began to return. The past seven years have been a nightmare. I have regained most of my weight back. I didn't know that websites such as OH existed and that there were other people have the same experiences. My shame kept me feeling hopeless and helpless. About a year ago I started doing research and found a doctor who performs revisions. It has been a 10 month battle with the insurance company. But today I was notified that the Insurance Company's last denial was overturned. The revisional surgery has been approved. Now I feel a mixture of hope and fear. Can I go through the anesthesia again? Can I manage the pain? Can I keep the weight off? How do I cope with the risks vs the rewards?
Ann_Hedonia
on 4/24/08 10:27 pm - Madison, VA
Remember how the rewards felt when you lost the weight the first time.  Focus on how good and how proud you felt, and let that be your light at the end of the tunnel.  Just my opinion...
Heidineub
on 4/24/08 11:47 pm
Good suggestions. Thanks for your feedback.
antiques55
on 4/24/08 9:14 am - Somewhere, MD
Congratulations!  I'm just starting on the path to trying to find out if I can get a revision.  I've regained half my lost weight and my co-morbidities are returning.  As a matter of fact, I need to see my PCP next week because my blood pressure is just climbing.  I'm also curious about what revision your having done, your journey to getting aprroval and what insurance you have.  All the good stuff that we all worry will be brick walls we have to scale.
Ann_Hedonia
on 4/24/08 10:30 pm - Madison, VA
My journey for a revision has taken a long time, a long time to find an MD that was willing to do one.  My insurance is State of VA employees Anthem COVA care.  I didn't have trouble with the approval, my MD's office took care of that and I guess they know what the "Magic Words" to use in their submitting my case. I'm going from a RNY back to a RNY, with the (can't remember the name) procedure that "pleats" your esophageal opening to the stomach.
Most Active