VBG to RNY: How much did you lose after?

Kristin S.
on 4/23/08 10:08 pm - Phoenixville, PA
Hi everyone, I am having my VBG (Jan 2000) revised to a RNY on April 29.   While the open surgery is a big enough thing to worry about, I am more concerned about actually losing real weight this time around.  I only lost 53 lbs the first time, and gained all of it back.   I have read lots of comments about how weight loss is slower etc, but I'm looking for some positive stories about this specific revision...would you please share how much you lost with me?   I think this (more than anything) would help me get off the worry wagon.  Thanks!
JROLFSON
on 4/24/08 12:37 am - St. George, UT
Hi Kristin: I had a Gastric Stapling back in 1981 and it came apart around 1989, I was admitted for a RNY in 1990 and the second time around lost over 100 lbs. I went from 225 to 116. So yes, I believe second time arounds can be very successful if you utilize your tool given you the way your told. I have kept those 100+ lbs off for almost 17 years, but have regained now. Mostly my own fault. Follow your doctors orders, and get in a support group for life, can't stress that enough. Good Luck Janie Rolfson
Nancy K.
on 4/24/08 2:56 am - Joliet, IL

Hello Kristen, Can I ask you why you have chosen to have the RNY for your revision? Have you looked into any other types of WLS? I too will be a revision from the VBG and I have chosen the DS. Please do yourself a BIG favor and go to www.duodenalswitch.com and check it out. Also, go to the DS forum on OH and hang out for awhile and learn and ask questions. They are wonderful and helpful people on there. You might just thank yourself later on. Please do your homework. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.
keenergel
on 4/27/08 9:16 am - OH
Kristin, If you do go the the DS forum do not ask about the most common concern about DS surgery or they will berate you for being a Troll (whatever that is).  Tread  with care on the forum.
candyshoe
on 4/28/08 4:47 pm - Kokomo, IN
I had a revision from a VBG to an RNY on Dec. 17, 2007.  I did pretty good.  I had my VBG in 1997.  I had lost 80 lbs. and gained back between 40-50 lbs. depending on what day it was....lol.    I did not make my goal then.  By the time I went into the hospital for the surgery last Dec. I weighed 198.7, but I had alot of co-morbidities that I didn't have when I had the first surgery.  I had diabetes, high cholesterol, triglycerides and blood pressure.  I was over my diabetes and everything else after my surgery.  They gave me insulin shots for a day or two and I've been off it ever since.  I have lost over 48 lbs. since Dec. 17th.  I now weigh 150.5 and still losing.  I only have another 5 - 10 lbs. to go.  I know that I was a light-weight, but I was having it mainly because I hate taking alot of pills and I was taking alot of them before surgery.  I'm off all of them now.  I'm only taking vitamins, etc. ....things I have to take because of the surgery. I hope this helps some.                     Candy
Melissa D.
on 4/29/08 12:04 am - West Burlington, IA
I had my VBG in 1999.  My staple line disrupted, and I gained back all but about 30 pounds of the 140 that I had lost.  I had my revision to RNY on Feb 19, 2008, and I have lost 53 pounds in 10 weeks.  I have heard that the loss is slower, etc. too.  I am NOT sorry I chose to revise, I am so much happier, feel better, more energy, and I'm still losing!    Good Luck!!

Mel

lyne R.
on 4/29/08 3:22 am - windsor, Canada
hi There Hi had a vbg done in 98 lost 130lbs in 10 months after 4 years started my old eating habits again sweets!and put on 110lbs i had a revision done in Nov i've lost 84lbs post op just short of 6 months out and 93lbs pre op i Love my Rny revision i would do it all over again . do everything by the book i excercise 5 days a week take 2 protein shakes a day and get 64 to 80 oz of water daily i also get a b12 shot once a month a take a daily vitamin.i'm so not screwing up this time i got a second chance at life .Good luck to ya i hope it all works out for you
Most Active