Please Help

SophieGrace
on 4/25/08 11:17 am - IL

I just had a big revision (lots of messes to clean up) in February.  I'm fine.

No one who's emotionally healthy really wants to have another surgery.  But I knew it was necessary for my health.

It was a slower recovery, but it was also a much bigger surgery (I was open for four hours).  I have no regrets.

Oh, I'm down about 30 pounds.  It was worth it.

Good luck to you.

SophieGrace 

Heidineub
on 4/25/08 11:37 am

My revision surgery is scheduled for June 5th. You mentioned that you are down 30 pounds, congratulations!! How is the weight loss with the revision as compared to your original surgery? I had open RNY in 1999.

Heidineub
on 4/25/08 11:45 am
I had a similar experience to yours. I weighed 272 at the time of my first surgery. I got down to 150 pounds within the first 18 months. At that point I was able to tolerate all types of food. In addition I wasn't given much guidance about how to care for myself (diet, nutrition, exercise). As a result I regained 120 pounds. My insurance company denied the revision three times. But my surgeon kept fighting and he asked for a review by the State Department of Banking and Insurance. They had an independent bariatric surgeon review everything and a decision came back in my favor. The revision is medically necessary for health and technical problems. I know it is a tough fight but don't give up. My surgery is scheduled for June 5th. The first time I wasn't educated about how to live after bypass surgery. The second time around I'm taking steps to do it the right way. I'm buying cook books so I know how to prepare meals, I'm working with an endocrinologist who will monitor my vitamin levels and now I shopping around for a dietician. Good luck with your decision and the insurance battle.
Donna O
on 4/25/08 8:46 pm - Phila, PA
I feel the same way.  I wasn't sure what to do after the first WLS. and now by gaing the weight back I am ready to do it the right way.  I am just not sure about Dr. Brolin.  What do you think of him?  I heard all good things but I wasn't impressed.

Donna

Open Rny

Feb.22,2006

Heidineub
on 4/26/08 1:10 am
I haven't had much face to face interaction with Dr. Brolin. But I was impressed with his knowledge. Also, if he hadn't kept advocating on my behalf there is no way the surgery would be covered by my insurance company. They denied it three times, but Dr. Brolin asked for an external appeal and that took it out of the hands of the insurance company. By having an independent review by another Bariatric Surgeon the insurance company was forced to cover the revision. I am very impressed with Dr. Brolin's office staff. They seem compassionate and very thorough.
Arizonadck
on 5/9/08 8:00 am - Chicago, IL
Hi - What kind of revision are you having?  I'm shopping around.  Everything I read makes me feel I should have the extended rny or DS  (a malabsorption revision) but my bypass doctor only does the band over bypass. I need to lose about 80 pounds and just don't think the band will do it (my pouch is small - it's my stoma that's enlarged.  I had lost 170 lbs after bypass but have regained now 40.  I'm terrified of gaining more.  I love my bypass doctor but also feel I need to choose what will work best for me.  Plus, I know insurance won't cover it so I want to choose the right one since I can't afford to do it again.  Should I just trust by doctor or shop around?  It's mind-boggling.  Any advice you can give - especially what kind of revision you're having would be appreciated.  Thanks a lot!  Carolyn
Sandra C.
on 4/25/08 11:01 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I HAD AN OPEN REVISION BACK IN 1983. IT TOOK A LONG TIME, BUT I DID GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK. I HAD AN ENDOSCOPY DONE AND THE SURGEON TOLD ME I HAD A HERNIA WHICH WAS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT BECAUSE THE REVISION WOULD AUTOMATICALLY FIX IT. MY STOMA WAS ENLARGED AND AFTER I HAD AN UPPER GI YOU COULD SE STAPLES ALL OVER THE PLACE IN THERE. I HAD THE SECOND RNY DONE APRIL 8TH. THE SURGERY TOOK 3 1/2 HOURS AND THE DR SAID I STARTED BLEEDING AND HE ALMOST HAD TO CLOSE BUT THANKFULLY HE AND HIS PARTNER WERE ABLE TO FINISH THE OPERATION. I ALSO HAD A LOT OF SCAR TISSUE AROUND MY SPLEEN MOSTLY, AND HE ALMOST HAD TO TAKE IT OUT. HE KNEW ABOUT THAT BEFORE HAND AND HAD ME SIGN PAPERS TO TAKE IT OUT IF HE HAD TO. I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL FROM TUESDAY AND WENT HOME FRIDAY. I AM FEELING GOOD AND HAVE LOST 15 LBS. I WOULD DO IT AGAIN IF I HAD TO. I AM ALREADY OFF MY BP MEDICATION. GOOD LUCK TO YOU! I HAVE UHC AND THEY APPROVED ME RIGHT AWAY
priscilla D.
on 5/9/08 11:21 am - farmvillie, va
i had the revision in 2003 and only lose 30 lbs and have gain 15lbs of them back and now weigh230 my lowes weight was 198 the first go round i started at 315lbs. im at the point i dont know what to do  i try to watch what i eat . its hard for me to exercise do to i have torn the legiments in my feet and when i start exercise they flare back up. my feet and legs hurt really bad. help!!!
Most Active