Question about surgery failure

LisaAnn
on 4/22/08 12:16 pm - WA
Hi, I am awaiting an appt. with my surgeon to discuss my failure. I had VBG in 2006, lost 99 pounds, but have now gained 45 back. (Pregnancy did not help!) My question is what causes surgrey failure?? Is it just me that failed or the surgery??  - I don't know if he can FIX my surgery or will I need a revision?? What is the common reason for the failures? Thanks!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

hopper116
on 4/22/08 12:24 pm - Murphy, NC
Hi Lisa,  I had a VBG back in 1987, when I was 15.  Naturally it's an older procedure than what you've had, but it did NOT work for me.  I just had Revision surgery on April 7th.  I had the DS done.  My surgeon said he use to do the VBGs but quit as people regained with them.  I know I regained all of my 86 pounds I lost, plus I gained another 100!!!  I just started "grazing" and for me, the only things that I could get down, without vomiting were high-carb foods-breads, potatoes, sweets, etc.  I threw up for 21 years, and I was soooooo sick of it.  I could never eat meat or raw veggies and fruits without getting sick.  I hope you don't have those same problems.  I guess we could blame ourselves some and the procedure itself.  The VBG may be a wonderful WLS for many people, but for me, it was a nightmare.  I went with the DS because my husband had it done back in June of 2007, and he's already lost over 200 pounds.  I knew it had to be the one for me. Best of luck to you and take care! Stephanie

FULL DS Revision on 04/07/08!!!   No More VBG!  YEAH!!!

happy girl
on 4/22/08 12:39 pm
I think the VBG is notorious for staple line breakdown, so it's not you.  You could be re-stapled and even get the band replaced...or go to a lapband or RNY, or DS - it will depend on what is wrong and what your surgeon decides needs to be done. One way to defeat the VBG is to drink liquid calories and slider foods - no dumping, so you can get away with sugar and fats too. good luck!

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

~~Sami~~ *.
on 4/23/08 7:55 am - Jacksonville, FL
You didn't fail the surgery, the VBG has a horrible long-term success rate.  Most surgeons won't even do it anymore... heck, a lot had stopped back in 2001 when I had my Lap-Band placed.

Lap-Band June 14, 2001. Dr. Rumbaut, Monterrey, Mexico.
Lap-Band removed after 7 years and converted to Sleeve Gastrectomy on July 7, 2008 by Dr. Roslin.  I've had three happy healthy Lap-Band babies.... and one VSG baby.  5 years out from revision to VSG.  Gained 55 pounds in past 5 months, now considering DS. :(

keenergel
on 4/24/08 12:31 am - OH
I had my VBG in 1998.  I lost 110 lbs and have gained back 130.  I still vomit if I eat wrong and a recent endoscopy showed no staple line failure or overstretching of the pouch.  I do have some band erosion.  All the VBG did for me was turn me in to a constant grazer.  I am never full.  I think part of it is the two part stomach thing.  Also the healthy foods are so much harder to eat, and keep down than crap food.  The VBG did nothing to stem my hunger so I keep eating.  My dear  one listen when they tell you that VBG was and is a BAD surgery and doesn't work. The good news is there are more choices now and ever new proceedures for the future.  You will find one that will work for you so hang in there.
MaryTeresa
on 4/24/08 1:52 pm - Loveland, OH
First off YOU DID NOT FAIL IT FAILED YOU! And YES Pregnancies it a but help to the surgery failing you. I had 2 back to back high risk pregnancies and I went from 455 to 235 to 357 because my stoma dialated during the pregnancies. My pouch is still teh size of a large egg. I now have to get revised to a DS because my pouch is too small to revize to anyother WLS and my Stoma can not be taken in so I have to change over to a DS. What cause my stoma to dialate was because during my pregnancies I was forced to drink  while I ate arround the clock to get enough fluids  and nutrition for me and my boys. I went from a 0 hunger lever to allways hungry during my 2nd pregnancy. The drinking while I ate ir what caused it to dialate but also noone told me dont get pregnant once you have have surgery for 3+ years and that birth control would not work in any form except abstidence and tubal.  The EGD should show you what is wrong. Just keep your spirits up and if you ever need to talk just PM me. Mary Teresa
Most Active