Revision'ers weight loss question

Susie221
on 4/22/08 1:36 am - UK
I am soon to have my date for revision I will be having my pouch and outlet made smaller  My surgeon has said that I will probably only lose another 28lbs ,I  went from 298 LBS  and am currently 214 -  215 pounds this means I will get to 189LBS . Do you all think this would be a good outcome for revision ? I would have liked to get to 140 - 158 ( in an ideal world ..lol ) But I have read that not many who have bypass actually get to a "normal" weight ,just overweight ,or obese . I had a distal Rny Nov 2006 by the way  Susie x
JROLFSON
on 4/22/08 3:39 am - St. George, UT
Susie: Quite honestly if you want to successfully lose down to 140-150, you might want to consider a proximal or extended RNY. I've been reading about the good success rates with that particular Revision procedure. And it's not quite as scary as a DS. Although DS'ers are having unbelievably great success, it's just once you've already RNY'd then a DS means taking the original pouch down and section off the stomach, major stuff and major scar tissue to deal with. Personally I would like to have the Extended RNY along with a procedure to make the Stoma opening smaller. I can't see going in for a procedure that only allows you to lose 28 lbs, unless it's completely paid for by Insurance, then by all means I would go forward. After all 28 lbs is that much closer to your goal. Just thoughts Good Luck JRolfson
Susie221
on 4/22/08 7:45 am - UK
Hi Jrolfson I already have the extended Rny my bypass is 2 mtrs ! I think that is why I have managed to lose the amount I have done so far as I have been able to eat quite a bit all along Susie x
M. Hall
on 4/22/08 11:33 am - Norcross, GA
Dear Susie I myself dont see going thru that surgery all over again for 28 lbs. I dont know what the distal RNY is but I had the RNY in 2002 and have gained almost 50lbs back and I am now seeking a revision. Dont really know what kind, ill know after my upper endoscopy on Monday but from what ive heard at my Dr. he is favorable of Fobi Pouch's.  You have to do what you feel, hell who knows maybe you will prove him wrong and get down to the  weight you desire. Its up to you. We as women can do anything if we are head strong! I wish you luck! Let me know how it goes!
M. Hall
on 4/22/08 11:40 am - Norcross, GA
Susie! Is your insurance covering your revision and if so how long did it take to get approved? And did you have to pay anything out of pocket w/ insurance? 
christineneale
on 4/23/08 1:26 am - tampa, FL

hi susie i will also be having my pouch and stoma made smaller by stomaphyx i will also be having more intestine bypassed i would definately see about having more intestine bypassed for better weight loss i was also distal and my surgery failed   

Susie221
on 4/23/08 9:11 am - UK

Thank you ladies for your replies  I am living in the UK, and no I do not have to pay for my revision ,even though I paid privately for the original surgery. In the UK the bypass length they do is usually standard and they wouldnt bypass more than the 1mtr they do normally,I went abroad to have the RNY and they did the extended Rny which was 2meters . As far as bypass length ...I spoke to a bariatric nurse tonight  and she said that the bypass length made NO DIFFERENCE TO MALABSORPTION ???UHHHH??  SO WHY DO IT THEN ? ,have any of you heard of that before ? I think that shes talking rubbish personally,as I think the weight I have managed to lose is because of my large bypass length,as I can eat pretty much anything I want and have been able to from a few weeks out ... but I am still restricted in portion size..  I welcome your comments  Susie x

Most Active