common channel length??

ddam7
on 4/19/08 3:08 am - crystal lake, IL
Does anybody have any idea how long the common channel length is after gastric bypass RNY  not the duodenal switch surgery. I am trying to figure out the malabsorption differences  between both surgerys Thanks!
DivaDee
on 4/19/08 10:03 am - Kaneohe, Hi
I would like to know that too...im looking for a revision myself and would like to go into the doctors with information.
Janelle S.
on 4/19/08 11:52 am - Metairie, LA
The small intestine is 6 to 7 meters long (600 - 700cm). RNY roux limbs are attached 100 - 200 cm from the top, leaving a 400- 600 cm common channel. I have a distal RNY that is attached 150 cm from the bottom (150cm common channel). DS patients have a much shorter common channel- sometimes as short as 40cm.

ginau
on 4/19/08 1:24 pm - mesa, AZ

You Might want to check things out with your Surgeon, Most laproscopic procedures that are done are proximinal and the least amount of intestine is bypassed , More aggressive  procedure like  medial or distal  tend to require an open procedure - Some are done lap  but not all ...  And not all Dr'd do all procedures !   

DivaDee
on 4/19/08 2:14 pm - Kaneohe, Hi
Thank you for all the wonderful information!!!
LosingSally
on 4/19/08 6:10 pm
A true distal, or what's now being called an extended RNY has a common channel from 100, to 200 cm. A DS usually has around a 100cm common channel, but may be as short as 40, or as long as 200. The DS has a larger stomach, and the extended RNY has the very small pouch. If you have a revision to a RNY, you will most likely have 150 cm bypassed, as compared to 350cm bypassed with DS. The RNY usually only bypasses 50 to 200 cm, and results in a very long common channel. As noted above, the entended is the one with a very short common channel. Many surgeron don't like to combine a pouch with a short common channel, if I wanted this proceedure, I would most likely find a DS surgeon, and just get the DS. There aren't as many DS post-ops as of this period in time, and RNy has thousand, really hundreds of thousands of post-ops. But DS has been done enough that you can find out most of the positives and negatives if you do the research. Just make sure your research for any surgery isn't done on a internet message board site such as this. You need information from the medical community, and your own health care providers, and maybe from people you personally know. Ask around for a support group so you can meet people and ask questions there. Be sure and ask surgeons who actually perorm the proceedure you're interested in having what side effects or complications his or his fellow surgeons have reported. I think WLS is great, and I couldn't be happier with my own results. I just feel everyone should research any WLS until you know all you can, and are sure you can live with all of the results.
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/08 2:20 pm
ginau
on 4/20/08 3:11 pm - mesa, AZ
they bypassed 100  or left you with a 100 in your common channel ? Huge differance there.  from what you write  it sounds like they bypassed 100 , and then it all depends on how much you have to start with . how was your surgery done ??  and by who ?  Can I ask how much have you lost ??
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/08 12:13 pm
PekinSal
on 4/20/08 8:46 pm - UK
My surgeon does all the WLS, and gave me a 'standard' CC of 100cm. Short channel RNY and DS are the most similar in terms of malabsorption, but he did say if someone wanted a really short CC RNY he may as well do the DS instead! The other side of the seesaw is what they do to your stomach though - usually DS capacity is larger, so you can take in more volume but have less absorbed, and vice versa with the RNY. My stomach capacity is small on purpose though - about 50ml, because I already managed to break the band and could eat for the Olympics!  If I wasnt diabetic I would have found it hard to choose between the short channel RNY and the DS - its hard to predict which WLS will work best for you - if only we had a crystal ball! Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

Most Active