Question about revision

LisaAnn
on 4/18/08 12:33 pm - WA
Hi all! I had VBG surgery in April of 2006 (2 years out). I lost 99 pounds in the beginning, which put me at a great weight for me. Then I got pregnant (had baby 2 months ago) and I am about 45 pounds heavier than my GOOD weight. I am now 203 pounds.  The VBG is not a good surgery (In my opinion) because honestly, I can eat whatever I want just as before surgery. I want a revision to DS or RNY, but my question is, I am not 100# over weight now and do not have the co-morbidities that I once had. (I am still 50# lighter than pre-surgery). So would I not qualify for a revision now, since I do not meet the criteria, or is there new criteria for a revision?? Thanks and sorry this was so long! (Stats are old) Lisa

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

darnell239
on 4/18/08 1:12 pm - Columbia, SC
Lisa, Insurance probably will not pay for a revision surgery.  If you plan to self pay you will probably have more options.  There are some doctors who will revise you at this weight.  Again, just don't expect insurance to pay unless you can prove there was a mechanical failure in the previous surgery.
KRWaters
on 4/20/08 1:40 pm, edited 4/20/08 1:41 pm - Manteca, CA
Yes indeed insurance will definitely pay for revisions. Check out our DS forum here on OH. There have been several who had a revision to a DS from a lapband or a RnY and insurance covered. More and more insurance companies are now paying for revisions. Medicare approved my revision from RnY to a DS. BTW, I did not have a mechanical failure, it is just the fact that my diabetes has come back and I still have severe sleep apnea that medicare will cover me for a revison.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

DivaDee
on 4/18/08 7:57 pm - Kaneohe, Hi
have you looked into the stomaphyX procedure?  it may help....im thinking about it myself! http://www.endogastricsolutions.com/index.php?src=gendocs&re f=StomaphyX&category=Products
keenergel
on 4/21/08 4:45 am - OH
I had my VBG 12 years ago and you are right, it is a sucky choice.  I am going to be revised to a sleeve in a step proceedure (wantedto go straight to DS all at once, but no luck)  Be careful about doing any WLS private pay as you may  not be covered for any complications either.
ShayZ
on 4/21/08 6:21 am - Somewhere, TX
Would you mind elaborating on why VBG didn't work for you and also why you are having to do your revision step wise?  I had RNY 6 yrs ago and am investigating options. 
keenergel
on 4/21/08 8:55 am - OH
I am not sure how I have retained all the negatives of the surgery (inability to eat certain soft foods-pasta, Chinese food, bread) while regaining all of my weight and friends.  I thought I had stretched the pouch or broke the staple line. Neither is true.  I can tell you the VBG totally screwed up my eating habits.  I have become a chronic grazer who NEVER feels full.  I think the two part stomach has something to do with it.  I have to be revised because in the last year my band has begun to erode and is now causing ulcers.  When they take it out, they will convert to a VSG and hopefully with the stomach removed the ghrelin will let me finally feel full.  If not it is step one towards a DS.
ShayZ
on 4/21/08 6:27 am - Somewhere, TX
i am in a similar boat as you.  I am right under 35 and have no co-morbidities.  Insurance will usually pay if the CM exist but I am being told now that w/o sleep apnea or something it will be a self-pay. I say just try it and see...Nothing beats a failure but a try!
LisaAnn
on 4/21/08 11:31 am - WA
Hmmm, it sucks that I have to wait for my CM to return or gain even more, in order for insurance to pay for a revision. I think I may contact my original surgeon and see what he says. I just dread that he will be mad that I gained in the first place, but oh well, it happens! I think VBG is not a good choice anyway, and that is why it is basically obsolete! All I can do is try, right!?!?!?!?

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

hopper116
on 4/22/08 12:35 pm - Murphy, NC
Lisa, TRY!  I just had revision surgery and BCBS approved me, just as if I were a new Weight Loss patient.  I don't like to step on anyone's toes, so to speak, but I HATED my VBG.  Many will say it was me, and I guess partly it was, but it was mostly that horrible surgery!  I became a GRAZER and could only get certain foods down.  Seriously, if you want a revision, fight for it!  It will be sooooo worth it.  Ask questions, make phone calls, get testing done, etc.  AND....if you are worried about your old surgeon getting mad at you, find a NEW one.  Check out the DS forum.  It seriously saved me life! Take care and best of luck! Stephanie

FULL DS Revision on 04/07/08!!!   No More VBG!  YEAH!!!

Most Active