Has anyone whose pouch and stoma weren't too big...

Monique H.
on 4/17/08 3:48 am, edited 4/17/08 3:49 am

Had a revision and were able to get insurance to pay for it?  I go for my endoscopy tomorrow and am worried that they aren't going to find anything wrong. I stopped losing weight after 6 months and I'm worried that my pouch and stoma are going to be normal for how far out I am.  If I can't find something wrong where they will do a revision I'm afraid I'll be fat all my life, which probably won't be too long of a life at the rate I'm going. Thanks in advance. 

WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
S Andrews
on 4/17/08 12:05 pm - eatonville, WA
Hi Monique, I sort of in th same boat as you are. I lost about 55 pounds- went from 302 to 249 then gained about 25 of it back. After about 5 months I just stopped losing weight- stayed at that weight for about 2 years then started putting it back on. I went to a surgeon about a revision but he wasn't very nice about it. I am going for a barium swallow tomorrow to see how large my stomach is. Not sure what this willa ccomplish because he's not going to be able to see how large the stoma is. It will be interesting. Keep us posted on what they tell you. Sharon
Monique H.
on 4/18/08 1:52 pm
Well he said everything looked fine. He didn't give me any measurements he just said that there was no problem with the size of my pouch or stoma. So he told me he's going to keep monitoring me and to make an appointment to see him in a couple of months. This is very discouraging. He also told me that he didn't think the insurance would pay for a revision since he didn't see anything wrong. Well to me for someone who stops losing after six months that looks very wrong to me. I'm thinking about trying to get a second opinion, but don't know if I can get a referral to another surgeon. I just feel hopeless. I hope your visit turns out better than mine. Good luck to you.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
linda249
on 4/21/08 10:27 am - xenia, IL
I was having the same problem and my Dr. said I needed an endoscopy and he did that with the thoughts of doing what he calls scleratherapy on my stoma and there was a problem with the stoma it had somehow enlarged and he said he does not know why that happens so I had the procedure done and I am on a diet like back from the start of WLS but I think it may have fixed my problem, in less than a week only 5 days actually, I have lost 7 or more lbs. already
Monique H.
on 4/21/08 11:49 am
congratulations!!! I wish he would have seen something, but when my doctor did my endoscopy he said everything looked fine including my stoma. I really don't understand it. No loss for almost 7 months, but they can't find anything wrong. I still can't give up though.
Sarah M.
on 4/20/08 6:16 am - Philadelphia, PA
Have you considered a revision to the DS? It would offer you a serious metabolic advantage...I'm a very high BMI patient, which is why I want the DS. I know that the metabolic advantage is the best chance I'm ever going to have to acheive a normal/healthy weight.

Sarah M.
Monique H.
on 4/21/08 2:52 am
I have difinitely considered revision to ds. I just have to get in touch with the doctor who doesn't charge thousands up front to have it done. It is also a little scary for me because I've had so many surgeries and with this one being so risky I'm really afraid that I won't make it through. I would love more than anything to have the ds though.
Most Active