Possible Revision from RNY to DS

ShayZ
on 4/16/08 1:50 am - Somewhere, TX

good morning, y'all I have some questions and I was wondering if you guys could help me with them.  Over the past few months I have sought opinions from various doctors about a revision but through this site I was learning about the DS and am leaning more towards having that done.  I just called a docs office and I was told that if I had a true RNY 6 years ago then I would not be able to be switched to a DS.  That it is not possible because the stomach is dissected during a true RNY and that is counter intuitive to what needs to be done for a DS.  His coordinator did tell me that it was possible to be revised to a Long Limb RNY.  I have never heard about this surgery.  Does this sound right to everyone? Shay (Lurker Extraordinaire) P.S. I also posted this on the DS message board

Cynthia Johnson
on 4/16/08 2:33 am
Hi, look at the post from Dr. Eric Schlesinger he provides alot of information.  I'm sure it will be helpful.
juststeff
on 4/16/08 4:03 am - Charlotte, NC
Hi Shay! That is exactly what I had done (revision to a long limb- but I also had a fistula from an ulcer), but have you seen your operative notes? You might already have a long limb, and do you know if your stomach is actually "detached?" I would recommend getting your operative notes and your discharge summary, or discuss them with your first surgeon to find out exactly what he did.  Good luck!
ShayZ
on 4/16/08 5:05 am - Somewhere, TX
thank you for the replies.  I am reading that post by Dr. Schlesinger now.  I appreciate the information.  I figured that I am not the first nor will I be the last.  Also I have a consultation date with Dr. Stewart on the 6th of May and I have my operative notes from prior consultations.  I wish i knew how to read them to tell what kind of surgery I had.
Monique H.
on 4/16/08 9:06 am, edited 4/16/08 9:07 am
I think her name on here is Starry1 she had revision from rny to ds.  Also there is a list on here somewhere of surgeons who do rny to ds revisions. If you've posted it on the ds board I'm quite sure you have your answers by now.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
hopper116
on 4/19/08 4:36 am - Murphy, NC
There are lots of people on the DS forum that have successfully been revised from a RNY to the DS.  Go over there and ask questions.  It is possible to have a Full DS revision too.  You don't have to get a long limb RNY.  I just had revision surgery on April 7th.  I was an old VBG from 1987 and was just revised to a FULL DS REVISION.  There aren't as many surgeons that do revisions to the DS, so you'll have to do your homework.  I had to travel 13 hours from home, but it was worth it to me as I wanted a Full DS.  My husband had the DS (not a revision) back on 06/27/07, and he's already lost 202 pounds and he's still loosing.  He's healthy, happy, and satisfied with how he eats.  I knew I wanted the DS based on his success.  Go over to the DS forum!  You'll get lots of info! Stephanie FULL DS REVISION on 04/07/08 and 27 pounds lost!!!
Sarah M.
on 4/20/08 4:42 am - Philadelphia, PA
I promise you...The better DS surgeons (like Husted in San Francisco) do revisions to DS from RNYs all the time. I met a patient once who Husted managed to convert to a DS after she'd had something like four previous weight loss surgeries. Other surgeons do convert RNYs, true and therwise, to DSes on a regular basis.

Sarah M.
KRWaters
on 4/20/08 1:54 pm - Manteca, CA
It sounds like the doc that told you he would not be able to switch you to a ds is because, ha ha, he does not do the DS. You must contact a surgeon who you know for a fact does do the DS and then you will get an an honest answer. To find docs who do the DS go to duodenalswitch.com and check out their physician list, ok? Don't trust the list here on OH as that list is inaccurate. I wish you well.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

(deactivated member)
on 4/23/08 4:00 am - CA
Read about Revisions in this forum. (Click to the left of these posts) It was written by Dr. Husted. He specialized in revisions. He also has package deals for patients whose insurance won't cover their revision which unfortunately is most insurance companies. His office number is 415-722-4182.
KRWaters
on 4/23/08 10:19 am - Manteca, CA
I already know about Dr. Husted. Unfortunately, he does not take Medicare, which is what I have. Also, he charges a program fee and I don't have th at kind of money lying around. I plan to use Dr. Keshishian in Delano, CA, and he will convert any RnY to a true DS. He told me he always takes down the RnY and does the DS like it should be done. If you don't have a surgeon yet, check him out.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Most Active