ROSE procedure scheduled NEXT TUES!!!!

catbert
on 4/14/08 1:14 am - MN
 I am super excited to finally be able to get my weight back under control.  I was scheduled for the Stomaphyx last month, but after insurance declined it, my doctor said he wanted to try to appeal the decision and cancelled my procedure.  Below is a little more info on the procedure. I have BCBS of MA and I knew they were not going to cover it, but he cancelled my procedure any way.  At first I was very upset, but then I began to do further research about the different types of less evasive procedures (i.e. through the mouth).  I found that the ROSE procedure offers better long term results and most important to me, would make the pouch AND stoma smaller.  The stomaphyx only reduces the pouch. I found the ROSE procedure"ROSE" (Restorative Obesity Surgery, Endolumenal), reduces the size of a patient's stomach pouch and stoma to the original post-gastric bypass proportions to help them back onto the path of weight loss. Gastric bypass surgery (GBS or RYGB) offers an effective means to lose significant weight. It is not, however, always a permanent fix. Up to 44 percent of patients who undergo gastric bypass begin to regain weight -- and the dangerous health problems associated with it -- a few years after their initial operation. Studies show that post-gastric bypass weight regain sometimes occurs because the stomach pouch and the opening to the small intestine slowly stretch out, allowing the patient to eat more without feeling full. To perform the ROSE procedure, the Cincinnati Weight Loss Center surgeons utilize a small flexible endoscope and a new EndoSurgical Operating System(TM) (EOS) developed by USGI Medical Inc. (http://www.usgimedical.com). The scope and the EOS are inserted through the mouth and into the stomach pouch. The EOS tools are then used to grasp tissue and deploy suture anchors to create multiple, circumferential tissue folds around the stoma, reducing the diameter of the opening to original post-gastric bypass proportions. If needed, additional anchors are then placed in the stomach pouch to reduce its volume capacity. No cuts are made into the patient's abdomen during the procedure, so the patients report little or no postoperative pain.
Cheryl Gebbie
on 4/14/08 3:17 am - Knoxville, TN
Congrats ...I am scheduled for the ROSE NEXT WED in Georgetown KY ....with Dr Derek Weiss ..
patsy13215
on 4/14/08 10:51 am - syracuse, NY
HI THERE; I AM ALSO ENROLLED IN THE ROSE STUDY. MY FIRST CONSULT IS ON THE 30TH OF THE MONTH.I WILLBE HAVING MY HISTORY AND PHYSICAL THAT DAY ALONG WITH THE ENDOSCOPY TO SEE THE SIZE OF MY POUCH AND  STOMA.MINE WILL BE IN LONGBRANCH N.J. AT THE MONMOUTH MEDICAL CENTER.. GOOD LUCK TO YOU...PATSY
dana S.
on 4/14/08 10:27 pm - brooklyn, NY
hi patsy. i just filled out the request online yesterday for the rose procedure at monmouth medical center. are they still looking for people?how long do they take to call you for the procedure?  Thanks Dana and good luck to you.
littleguy
on 4/15/08 5:39 am
I work at monmouth in the OR and that is how I know what is going on there. As far as I know there are still registry slots left. As far as the wait I dont think its too bad. I know that the docs want to get these patients done as soon as possible. The buzz is that Dr Borao and Gorcey are having a lot of success with the patients already done. none had post op pain and all are losing weight. you can call the bariatric center directly and speak to debbie larusso. that should speed things up. number is 732-222-5200 ext 36070
patsy13215
on 4/15/08 12:52 pm - syracuse, NY
hi Dana; I got a call the next day from Debbie.Because I live  in Syracuse they are going to combine all of my preliminary stuff on  one day.. It will include a history and physical ,a nutritional consult and the endoscopy to check size of pouch and stoma.They will probobly do that for you also.They are still looking for people..Good luck..Keepme posted....patsy
paula61
on 3/20/13 9:32 pm - Painted Post, NY

Patsy , My name is Paula and I also am looking to get the Rose Procedure done can you please give me your doctors name and phone number I was referred to Dr Simone in Syracuse but right now they have me going to Dr O'Malley in Rochester Ny I am on a strict diet and still gained 1 pound in 7 days go figure it is driving me crazy...

Cheryl Gebbie
on 4/15/08 10:15 am - Knoxville, TN
As of today I have all my clearances and my surgery will be 9:30am on 4/23 ...... clear liquids the day before with a fleets enema at 7pm and another Fleets the next morning before surgery ....and will be NPO after Midnight the night before Cheryl
patsy13215
on 4/15/08 12:57 pm - syracuse, NY
Hi cheryl; You seem well prepared..Was your cardiac clearance needed due to a pre-existing condition or did they request it of all participants..? We will be rooting for ya..You have been a great cheerleader for this....thanks   patsy
Cheryl Gebbie
on 4/15/08 12:59 pm - Knoxville, TN
Patsy ...I beleive the cardiac clearance is manadatory for everyone but not positive ..I dont have a history of heart problems .... and thanks for the good wishes .... HUgs Cheryl
Most Active