Revision surgeons in Maryland?

DianeI
on 4/12/08 7:30 am - MD
My surgeon is not too hot on taking any more of my intestine out. Does anyone know which surgeons in Maryland do revisions? thank you Diane
DianeI
on 4/12/08 7:32 am - MD
I should have added, a surgeon who will revise RNY proximal to distal or some other length.
(deactivated member)
on 4/13/08 12:13 am - TX

Dr. Schweitzer at Johns Hopkins is one of the best revision surgeons in MD.

* Michael Schweitzer, MD, FACS
[email protected]
Phone: 410-550-3345
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Department of Surgery
4940 Eastern Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21224
http://www.smallscar.com

DianeI
on 4/13/08 12:39 am - MD
Thank you for your reply. I guess I should have ALSO added, someone not at Bayview LOL Dr. Magnuson is my surgeon. I've consulted with his associate Kimberly Steele. She did my endoscopy. Dr. Schweitzer is also his associate. Dr. Magnuson won't let anyone, but he himself, cut on me there at Bayview! He hasn't gotten back to me on whether he will do the revision. He is consulting with Schweitzer at their meeting in the next week or so.  Thank you again for your reply. Also, Schweitzer doesn't take BC/BS which is a major obstacle. Diane
Ann B.
on 4/13/08 4:37 am - Baltimore, MD

Dr. Roe from Baltimore Bariatrics can probably help you out.  He is located on Cromwell Valley Rd. in Towson and he does his surgeries through GBMC.  Hope this helps. 

Ann Marie
315.5/ 215/ 160
SW /CW /2007 goal

antiques55
on 4/23/08 3:56 am - Somewhere, MD
Did you find an answer to your question or hear back from Dr. Magnuson?  I'm waiting to hear back from Bayview (anyone!) to find out if they will any kind of revision other than stomaphyx, which my insurance will not cover.  I understand that the surgeons are all hot to trot about stomaphyx since it's incisionless, but they have to understand that until the insurance companies view this procedure as something other than "experimental," none of them will cover it. 
DianeI
on 4/24/08 8:21 am - MD
Dr. Magnuson emailed me back today. He told me if I wanted to go forward with an open revision with him, he would do that. He said to call his sec. Valerie and have her get the insurnace request going. I am now thinking, wow, is this going to happen????  I guess he will do a distal, I just need to be ready for all that it can cause.  any comments, anyone?
antiques55
on 4/24/08 8:43 am - Somewhere, MD
I got an email today from Christine Walsh at Hopkins to call her back regarding my question as to whether anyone there will do something other than a stomaphyx.  I called and left her a message so I still don't have an answer.  I don't really even think a stomaphyx would help me.  I don't think my problem is related to the restrictive part of the surgery.  I still have a small pouch and if I pay attention to the full feeling, I don't need to eat much.  But a short time later I'm hungry again.  Not head hunger, real hunger.  So I think the issue for me is malabsorption which means, like you, going from proximal to distal.   What have your issues been up to now? From the reading I've done, it seems that getting a distal larger than 50 cm but smaller than 100 cm is the best way to go to try and avoid some of the problems associated with a distal surgery.   I'm still researching and trying to find a surgeon.  The surgeon who did my RNY does not do revisions so I feel like I'm starting all over again, interviewing surgeons.   At this point I would just like to find out if there are any physiological reasons as to why I've gained weight and still feel hunger.  If not (and if that means no one will do a revision on me), then I have to do a mental switch of telling myself that I will just need to learn to eat small GBS friendly meals throughout the day and hope that things will right themselves.  But I felt like this is what I've been doing without success. 
DianeI
on 4/24/08 8:49 am - MD
I began to get hungry a lot. I am restricted at times, depending on what I eat, but I really don't think that's the issue. I believe my intestine is now holding my food rather than my pouch due to my enlarged "stoma" it is almost as large as my pouch 3 cm. The stomaphyx is not the answer for me unless they can "stitch" it closed with the stomaphyx thingy lol. I believe my food just goes right through me, leaving me hungry a little while after I eat.  I am now doing my research to see if RNY proximal to RNY distal is my answer or if I should find someone who can do RNY to DS. I believe Dr. Sweitzer does it (doesn't take my insurance) and Dr. Vanguri also does revisions. I have heard a lot of good things about Dr. V  I really prefer, whatever I do that Dr. Magnuson do it. I believe he is one of the best surgeons around and I trust him completely. I hope I answered some of your questions! d
Most Active