gastric after lap band

danielle S.
on 4/13/08 1:23 pm
i feel i need the malabsorbive/restriction with either  ds or rny .doesnt this sound like a bad band case,ive read that some people just dont have any help w the band.i expected to have lost most of my excess weight by now not still be at the beginning.
skinnynmind
on 4/13/08 2:01 pm - Pensacola, FL

oh ok I see..but I wouldn't give up on the band so quick. I mean if you just got restriction off the last fill. Then you should give it some time. I mean the only reason I was considering it is because it's been almost 2 years.

I get what you are saying, seems to me all the bad stuff never gets stuck

ap7yrs
on 4/14/08 3:34 am - usedtobe, NY
Hey there, I was banded in 1/07 and lost 50 pounds in the first 4 months and haven't lost another pound since.  I get food stuck all the time and yet I don't experience early satiety or prolonged satiety.  I'm scheduled for a revision to RNY on 6/24.  My surgeon says I shouldn't expect to lose more slowly or to lose less than a first timer.  I'm not wild about malabsorption, but I'm also not wild about all the risks of being 70 pounds overweight either.  Good luck with your decision, it's a tough one. 
Lap Band 1/16/07
283/276/229/160  pre-op/surgery/current/goal
-54 pounds
Hondurian Queen
on 4/14/08 11:08 am - BOSTON, MA
hello I am also having a revision with Dr Lautz as well on 6/2/08 and cant wait good luck on your revision

Valerieb09
on 4/15/08 11:56 am - Seacoast, NH
I am having a revision from lapband to RNY on June 9, 2008 with Dr. Lautz also.  It looks we will all be revised within a couple of weeks of each other. Good Luck! Valerie
hollyberries
on 4/21/08 12:07 pm, edited 4/21/08 12:24 pm - Carver, MA
I have the band and had it done with Dr. Lautz.  After reading some of your posts I am concerned.  I am not having many issues with band with the exception of a few stuck episodes.  This is usually due to something that I have done by not chewing well or taking to large a bite.  Could you go into details why the band didn't work for you.  It seems alarming that a number of you have had problems with the band and the same Doctor.  By the way, I love Dr. Lautz...he is good at what he does.  I could be that just a few of you are having issues but I would be interested in knowing what did or did not work for you. Best wishes on your revisions, you need to do what is best for you. Cindy
Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

KathiS
on 4/16/08 4:05 am - Sugar Land, TX
I am having a revision (lap band to RNY) next Tuesday (April 22nd).  I was banded exactly 2 years ago.  I had good restriction, too much restriction, and currently no restriction (I got unfilled in October).  I had roughly 20 adjustment fills over the course of the past 2 years (at $105 to $300 under fleuro). I personally think that the lap band is a scam.  I was totally unable to eat anything healthy with even a small amount of fill.  It hurt.  It turns you into an even bigger carb / mexican food eater than you were to start off with.  I also did not ever lose the feeling physically hungry that I was told would go away if I only ate what I was supposed to. Anyways....  I am pre-op for the RNY, following my pre-op diet, and exercising daily.  Doing all I can to suceed this time around. I can't help but have some sinking doubt that this surgery won't work either, but I am having faith in myself and my future health by having it and doing all I can to suceed.  My personal thought on revisions is that I resolved to not stay overweight for my health, for my kids and for myself.  I will go through whatever I have to go through to get to that goal.   Kathi
PekinSal
on 4/16/08 8:47 am - UK
You aren't alone - I had the band removed in December and had the DS last week. I've lost 10 pounds - you'll understand how much that means when you've been up and down the same 4 pounds for 18 months! My band only worked between 9.15ml and 9.25ml. Less and I could eat what I wanted, more fill and I'd choke on spit. It all got too much really, considering I only lost 25lbs in all!  I had to pay to have it removed, and let the stomach rest before the DS. The cost of the DS was the normal one though. If you're going for a revision make sure you get a good surgeon though, because the band can alter the shape and thickness of the stomach and make revisions trickier.  I now know what restriction is, and its fab.  Sal

DS revision from failed lapband

slugworth
on 4/20/08 7:40 am - Stanwood, WA
I had a lap band. I had it revised to the Mini Gastric Bypass. Dr R does tons of these. He has done over 4000 MGB surgeries. Check out www.clos.net.
Most Active