Dr will do a Lap Band over RNY - Now up to insurance?

barbarabrewer
on 4/10/08 10:31 pm - TX
Hello all, I saw Dr Nicholson yesterday and we talked and he said that he would do Lap band over RNY that my pouch was stretched. But that my BMI was over 40 and I have returning co-morbidities. He was very nice and understanding of my situation over the last two years.  I told him I was ready to make the life style changes permanent and he said great!   He asked me who my insurance company was I said Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employees Plan he said...Well, they make it hard to get a revision.  But I came prepared I brought a copy of a letter that addresses co-morbidities that I got from our obesity help web site. This is a neat letter it is already outlined with medical terminology and research information.  You just copy and past it and take out what is not a co-morbidity for you.  I have already seen my therapist and she has sent them a letter approving the revision.  His insurance clerk was very impressed with the letter .  She told me that it will probably take two weeks before she even gets a reference number from Blue Cross.  She gave me her business card and said to call or email her with any insurance questions that I might have.  She told me that it will be a fight with the insurance company, but they will send in Dr Nicholson's letter of medical necessity and that I should keep contacting the insurance company on my end when she gets a reference number. Just wanted to share... Barbara Brewer
katchal
on 4/14/08 11:10 am - Goodview, VA

Hi Barbara, I just received approval today for my lap band over the RNY pouch.  I just started down this road and my insurance has already approved for the revision.  My surgery will be May 19th.  I am excited about my 2nd chance.  By the way, I have Anthem Healthkeepers Insurance. Good Luck Kathy

barbarabrewer
on 4/14/08 10:09 pm - TX
Congrats!  I am happy for you!  I will keep you in my prayers for a fast recovery and success for weight loss! Barbara Brewer
Most Active