Paying out of pocket for Stomaphyx... Is it worth it?

mollybearsmom
on 4/10/08 3:01 am - Dahlonega, GA
I know a few peple out there have had the Stomaphyx procedure in the last few months. I would love to know how you are doing and how has your weight loss been? I am assuming everyone that has had it has paid out of pocket, since I can't find anyone who was approved by insurance for it. Please tell me honestly, do you think it's worth it? It's quite a bit of money but if those who have had it are having success then it would be worth it in my book! I am trying to make a decision so please let me know your thoughts on the subject!!!
darnell239
on 4/10/08 3:56 am - Columbia, SC
Good luck with getting people to talk about their experience.  I posted a few days ago asking people who were 3 or more months out to post their experience and I have had no luck.
raffertyjean
on 4/10/08 6:58 am - Smithtown, NY
I just had the Stomphyx procedure 2 days ago, and although I am still in the recovery stage, I believe I made the right decision to go forward with the revision. It's still too early to tell how much I will lose, but just like any weight loss surgery - it all comes down to you and your committment to the process. After 13 years post-op, and initially losing 155 lbs, I found that I had regained about 25 lbs over the last few years and I just wasn't able to get the weight back off. Therefore, I have opted for this procedure, and was told the usual weight loss can be between 20 to 50 lbs. I think it was worth it, even though I could have lived without the sore throat!  I was lucky because my insurance ended up paying for it, but I would have paid out of pocket if I had too! I hope my feedback was helpful ! Good luck!
pepsi98
on 4/10/08 8:09 pm - Norwich, CT
What insurance do you have and even more important can you find out the diagnosis code your MD used for the procedure???  Thanks!!    Sue
raffertyjean
on 4/14/08 12:03 pm - Smithtown, NY
I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you, my computer is getting ready to crash and I can't seem to keep any of my programs open. Anyway, my husband has the Magnacare Local 3 Plan, and the diagnosis code that was approved was #564.2. I hope that helps. If you have any other questions about the procedure - just send me a message. I had the procedure almost a week ago, and I feel great and have already lost almost 10 lbs. I feel healthier and back in control. Good Luck!
ice-cream
on 4/10/08 10:31 am
i notice your like me and inquire about the stomaphyx quite often.  i too would like to have the stomaphyx but cannot afford it and my insurance is not paying for it at this time.  so i found out about  the rose procedure which is similar to the stomaphyx being done in richmond,va with dr gregory schroder, so i have been in touch with his coordinator, fax over my medical records and waiting to hear from them.  if everything goes ok i will drive there and have the procedure done.  what do you think about this.  please e-mail me back with your feedback
Cheryl Gebbie
on 4/10/08 11:38 am - Knoxville, TN
I am having the Rose Procedure on April 23rd in Georgetown KY with Dr Weiss .... I go for all my pre ops on the 15th and meet the surgeon and the internal medicine doc ad I beleive the nutritionist. I will keep you updated ...I really would like to lose 70 lbs ...but even 60 or 50 would be nice ..I never got to goal ....so this would be closer to goal than I have ever been .... I beleive Richmond VA is also doing the ROSE trial..... Cheryl
ginau
on 4/10/08 2:07 pm - mesa, AZ

NO !!   if you have to pay out of pocket - dont do it !!  to pay $$$$ to loose 15 lbs and gain it back - its not worth it ,,,  seek a revision !

See if you can get anyone who had it  when it first came out to tell youtheir results !!

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/08 3:26 pm
pepsi98
on 4/10/08 8:08 pm - Norwich, CT
I have had several posts on Stomaphyx over the last few months and have not answered some of them  simply because I am not 3 months out!  I had it done on Feb 1st.  I lost 17 lbs as of my last  appointment (3/20) and have another appointment on 4/24.    I do not have high hopes of loss at my next appointment, and as a matter of fact I feel as though I have gained that weight back.  I really do not have a lot of restriction and I have 100lbs to lost which is significantly more than 40 or 50.  I am just trying to get back on the wagon which essentially dieting, because I really don't have any notocable restriction.  I did pay out of pocket and would love to know what insurance the person had that paid for it.  I really wish I had more encouraging results, but it is what it is.
Most Active