ROSE PROCEDURE POSTPONED???

reenieb
on 4/8/08 5:31 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Hi, I am scheduled for stoma reduction (Restore trial procedure); I guess Dr. Thompson was going to perform the same procedure as the Rose trial procedure and wanted to postpone (for a few months!) my surgery - which I went through hell to get covered - because the company that is manufacturing the device can't keep up with supply and demand, so the company is asking all medical facilities currently performing this procedure to postpone all surgeries.  Has anyone else heard about this? And for those of you that actually had the Restore procedure, did you meet with success? How are you doing? I really need to know what to do about all of this! Thanks. Maureen
Karen H.
on 4/8/08 8:26 am
Hello, Was your insurance going to pay for this procedure? I was going to go with this procedure but they didn't have a code for this procedure because it has not been a 2 year study on it , it has only been 6 months. if you have a code for it and can you let me know what it is? Where was you going to have your surgery at? Thank you, Karen

..."Let Us Love The World To Peace"...

reenieb
on 4/9/08 10:21 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Yes, I have insurance coverage; had to fight it in appeals but won. Maureen
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/08 1:01 pm
reenieb
on 4/9/08 12:08 am
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Congratulations, Linda, I'm very happy for your success! Can you tell me, did you have the feeling of restriction after your stoma was sutured? I am afraid of the two-week post procedure diet of nothing but liquids (primarily protein shakes) if I don't feel restricted like I did after my gastric bypass.  I literally lost my desire to eat then; I'm worried that I will have to do this liquid diet and feel very hungry and deprived at the same time. Can you shed any light on this? Thanks! Maureen
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/08 1:16 am
reenieb
on 4/9/08 10:27 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Oh my god, why did you vomit blood clots? I'm scheduled as an outpatient procedure - and the hospital is almost 3 hours away from where I live! Dr. Thompson tells me he's never had patient complications from this procedure (the same procedure that was done for the RESTORe trial).  But you're ok now?  Do you truly feel like you made the right decision to go with this, rather than some sort of other revision? Maureen
(deactivated member)
on 4/11/08 4:44 pm
happy girl
on 4/8/08 3:02 pm
so you were getting the stoma reduction (but not as part of a study) and the Dr was also going to do the pouch reduction (also not part of a study)?  I guess I am not sure what you mean about getting it covered. The RESTORe trials were halted because apparently the manufacturer has new tool they want to test and didn't want to keep enrolling pts and use the old tool. If pts had already had their screening basically they went ahead with the RESTORe procedure.  I think most of us have done ok especially in the beginning, but I guess that is why they have trials and studies - to see how effective their tools and methods are. good luck

2003 RNY, 2007 Revision Distal RNY
April 17, 2009 ~ fleur de lis TT w/Muscle Repair, Medial Thigh Lift, Ventral Hernia Repair 

reenieb
on 4/9/08 10:25 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Yes, I was able to get coverage for this; I am moving forward with the procedure (just the stoma, not the pouch) and my understanding is next week I will have the same procedure as what was done in the RESTORe trials - not the ROSe trials. My stoma is dialated to 31 ml and it should be 10 ml.  My pouch is still pretty small. I'm just so afraid this isn't going to work for me...how are you doing, Reese? What procedure did you have, how long ago, and do you feel you are meeting with good success? Thanks. Maureen
Most Active