Strike Two

moosemama
on 4/5/08 4:42 pm - Palmer, AK
Hi: I know how you feel I had a lap band and it worked I lost 120 pounds then it eroded into my stomach and had to be removed.  I had severe depression for losing my friend who kept my weight in check (band) my orginal surgeon (Dr. Lopez) woulden't help me with my problems, I had no money and no surgeon wanted to take on anothers problems. I finally found Dr. Valencia who specializes in revision surgery but after the removal of my band I gained 60 pounds and really felt like a failure.  Then Dr. Valencia called to check up on me and I told him what I had done and he offered me the bypass.  He waived his fees to help me cover the cost of surgery.  I had this done not quite 2 months ago but I am always hungry like you say you are and I can eat anything such as bread and cakes and cookies.  I know I shoulden't but can't seem to stop myself.  So I feel like a third strike your out.  Not sure what to do.  I am going to try to drink more protein drinks just can't find one I like the taste of and can afford.  I exercise every day no problem.  I think I also need an antidepressant too and maybe that would help me.  If you ever need someone to talk to please email me. It helps to talk to others. Dawna
babybee6
on 4/7/08 7:27 am - Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Dawna. Sometimes it's just nice to know you are not alone. This is becoming more and more obvious to me with all the studies going on to find ways to correct these problems.
MaryTeresa
on 4/5/08 5:57 pm - Loveland, OH
I am in similar situation My stoma is huge my pouch is small so I am going to have Lap over RNY with Stoma fill. It really is my only choice because I am anemic I cant get malobsorbition techniques done. Good luck.
babybee6
on 4/7/08 7:29 am - Cincinnati, OH
I was seeing Dr. Alexander for a couple of years. He's not my original surgeon. He was willing to bypass more intestines but I never could make up my mind. Then these studies came along. I don't know what to do now.
MaryTeresa
on 4/8/08 2:43 am - Loveland, OH
I am not seeing Dr Alexander this time I am seeing Dr Schumacher in Kettering. Dr Alexander was only willing to by pass my intestine not willing to fix my probelm with Stoma  Dr Schumacher listened to my concerns and he is willing to take care of my needs not just his prefered surgery. My mother is seeing him as well. PM me if you want his info. He really is nice and he is doing a study coming up to fill the stoma as well incase your insurence doesnt cover your surgery.
babybee6
on 4/8/08 3:10 am - Cincinnati, OH
Dr. Schumacher is on my list of potential surgeons and is in my insurance network. Maybe I will check on the study. I'm thinking about a DS also. I'm kinda lost right now. I would just like to finish what I started.
patsy13215
on 4/6/08 11:47 am - syracuse, NY
hi Brenda;So sorry to hear about the delay.Did they perform an endoscopy priorto the day of surgery or is it their protocol to do it the same day as the surgery.Do you know why they didn't do it earlier to at least see if you were a candidate befor putting you through pre op stuff and then to not do it.Good luck to you. Patsy
babybee6
on 4/7/08 7:34 am - Cincinnati, OH
Hi. I had the endoscopy in February and the doc told me he probably wasn't going to do anything to my stomach because it was still small but my stoma was large.  What happened is as they were doing more and more procedures, they learned it was difficult and even dangerous to try to do them on patients with small stomachs. That's why they scoped me before they put me under general anesthesia. If I'd had a hack doctor, he might have done it anyway. I know he was just looking out for me. Honestly, part of me wishes I'd been his first patient.
MsDeniseinPA
on 4/8/08 3:51 am - PA
I'm sorry it didnt work out this time for you.  Hopefully something will.
Most Active