Strike Two

babybee6
on 4/4/08 11:52 pm - Cincinnati, OH
It's hard for me to write this. Well, I made it to the operating room this time. I was scheduled for the ROSE procedure yesterday and before going to the OR the doctor came in to see me and told me I would be scoped first to make sure my pouch was big enough. They had done twelve of he procedures and were finding some pouches too small for the graspers on the end of the instrument and couldn't continue for fear of rupturing the esophagus blah blah blah didn't want to risk it blahblahblah.  Knowing my pouch was small, I had a bad feeling. So, here I am with a small pouch and a huge stoma and nowhere else to turn. I'm back at square one considering a traditional big ol revision. The doc told me to call back every couple of months because they are always coming up with new tools, etc. This sucks so bad. I can't even stick to a diet because I get hungry at least every hour sometimes half an hour. That's when I first knew something was wrong, when I couldn't stick to Weigh****chers. It's  worse than before my original surgery. So, there you have it. FAILED.....Again. Brenda
JeannieBVA1
on 4/5/08 12:14 am
Brenda,  I'm really sorry.  We are going to figure something out !!  You only fail once you've given up... Hang in there.. Jeannie
Cheryl Gebbie
on 4/5/08 12:57 am - Knoxville, TN
Benda have you heard about the Trial where they are using collagan to fill the stoma to make it smaller when the pouch is already small ? I have seen a few posts here on that ....GoodLuck.....Cheryl
babybee6
on 4/7/08 7:08 am - Cincinnati, OH
Cheryl, I have read about the collagen but it seems like a very temporary fix. I'm thinking it wouldn't be enough for as much weight as I need to lose. Thanks for your good wishes.
Cheryl Gebbie
on 4/7/08 7:29 am - Knoxville, TN
I dunno just a thought. I hope things work out for you ....you seem to be very sweet and you deserve to have this fixed for you .. Cheryl
ginau
on 4/5/08 1:04 am - mesa, AZ
Brenda  1. you are not a failure. 2,  why would you want an experimental procedure - cause its free ? 3. find a good surgeon, pscyh and get on track .  
babybee6
on 4/7/08 7:11 am - Cincinnati, OH
I didn't want the procedure just because it was free. It wasn't, I had to pay $1000. The ROSE procedure made a lot of sense to me and seemed like what I needed. I'm just not sure I want an invasive surgery again but I have been considering it for a couple of years now.
(deactivated member)
on 4/5/08 1:39 am - TX

NO Brenda you didn't fail.  YOU DID NOT FAIL.  Your surgery failed you.  Which is why I chose the DS for my revision.  At age 54 I didn't want to go through the entire process and risk another surgery with a high failure rate.

Yes, the surgery I chose is riskier and the most complex.  Yes, it works and has the best stats for getting the weight off and KEEPING IT OFF.

You did not fail.  I know the feeling of being so hungry every hour or so.  I remember it all too well.  Please look into your other options.

Come to the DS board and learn how happy we all are, knowing we've got the best chance at being free from obesity for good.

babybee6
on 4/7/08 7:12 am - Cincinnati, OH
Since I have been considering a revision for a couple of years now, you have responded to me in the past. About a year and a half ago I went to a surgeon who wanted to bypass more intestines but not do anything to my pouch. If he had agreed to do that I probably would have had it done. I knew something was wrong because I still had restriction but I was hungry all the time. I thought it had something to do with my pouch.  Then, I found out it's my stoma. I'm familiar with your story. I know you had a reversal and a complete DS. My problem is finding someone who will give me the surgery I NEED, not what they, or I,  WANT. I worry about the side effects of the DS. The horror stories about the smelly poos, etc. I'm self conscious enough as it is. I do go to the DS boards occasionally. Thanks for your support.
(deactivated member)
on 4/7/08 9:11 pm - TX
On April 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM Pacific Time, babybee6 wrote:
Since I have been considering a revision for a couple of years now, you have responded to me in the past. About a year and a half ago I went to a surgeon who wanted to bypass more intestines but not do anything to my pouch. If he had agreed to do that I probably would have had it done. I knew something was wrong because I still had restriction but I was hungry all the time. I thought it had something to do with my pouch.  Then, I found out it's my stoma. I'm familiar with your story. I know you had a reversal and a complete DS. My problem is finding someone who will give me the surgery I NEED, not what they, or I,  WANT. I worry about the side effects of the DS. The horror stories about the smelly poos, etc. I'm self conscious enough as it is. I do go to the DS boards occasionally. Thanks for your support.

I am sorry you are scared of the smelly poo's.  They're totally controllable, either with diet or with meds.  I do not smell, nor do I have unusually smelly poo.  when I low carbed it, it wasn't an issue and now that I'm at goal and can eat what I want, I found the poo was stinkier than normal and I did a round of Flagyl and it worked very well.

I don't have diarrhea nor poop myself.  These are all overblown and not the experience of most DS'rs (or even people for that matter)

Yes, I do take a lot of supplements.  I do eat 100 gr of protein daily.  I do drink a lot of fluids.  I'm not hungry nor do I have a stoma that could enlarge.  I have a normal functioning stomach.

Good luck to you in finding a way to beat obesity.  I'm thrilled that I did and have a normal life.  Actually, I would say it's better than normal, because there aren't many people I know who can eat like I do and not gain weight.

Most Active