hiatal hernia

jamie11823
on 4/2/08 7:33 pm - Durand, MI
I had RNY 4/26/04.  Lost 60 lbs. Hung there for 2 yrs. and then started to put it back on.  Finally got a Dr. to listen to me and try to figure out whats wrong.  Had EDG done and found out I have hiatal hernia.  I think stoma is stretched also.   Will find out test results with that on Fri.  Has anyone else ever had this problem??? 
Cheryl Gebbie
on 4/3/08 7:52 am - Knoxville, TN
Yes....I have a hiatal hernia ...ad my stoma and pouch both have stretched ....am having the ROSE procedure to reduce te size of the stoma and pouch ...and I beleive the surgeon will fix the hernia ... Cheryl
Binxalways
on 4/3/08 1:21 pm - Oakbrook Terrace, IL
Hi there!  I also have the same problem.  I had lap RNY 4/29/02...I am now seeking a revision because I have gained back almost all of the weight that I had lost.  I have a hiatal hernia of the pouch, so my Dr said that means part of my pouch has pushed its way thru my diaphram and into my chest cavity.  I also have a stretched pouch & stoma.  I have just started the battle with insurance to get my revision.  The options that my surgeon have mentioned are: repair the hernia & get stomaphyx, lap-band over RNY with hernia repair, repair the hernia and "tighten up" my pouch and stoma, or fix the hernia & bypass more intestine while surgically making my pouch smaller again.  My first choice is Lap-Band over RNY, then my second choice would be bypassing more intestine while surgically making the pouch smaller.  I don't really like the other two options.  The trick will be getting insurance to approve me.  They have ridiculous requirements.  Please feel free to contact me if you want to talk!  My email address is [email protected].  Take care! Sincerely, Elizabeth 
(deactivated member)
on 4/3/08 9:32 pm - TX

Yes, my hiatal hernia came back with the regained weight.  My stoma was enlarged and I had staple line disruption with a large gastric fistula.  In other words, mechanical failure of my RNY.

Which is why I chose a revision to the DS.  Nothing to break!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/

Most Active