What to do - possible revision

Jory S.
on 3/29/08 1:41 pm - OK
I have been watching the RNY, the DS, and the revision boards and really need some help.  I know that I need to have a revision done, but even in all the research I have done, and the reading I have done, I cannot decide which revision surgery I really need to help myself. I am 6 years post op - VBG.  I still have the restriction (can only eat a little at each time, therefore I graze a lot throughout the day).  I say I have the restriction in my opinion, because food gets stuck in what feels like my chest after 2 or 3 bites of food, and sometimes I have to make myself vomit so it doesn't hurt so much and I don't feel like passing out. I would consider that restriction. Now of course with eating little bits every couple of hours or so, that my stomach staples have probably lifted and I can hold more food in my stomach than I was able to 4-6 years ago.  If I want to finish a normal sized meal, it can take me anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half to fini**** so I would think that after the food has gotten down my opening from the mesh ring from the VBG, then my stomach has stretched out and the staples have lifted away. I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am. My question is this.. until I learned about the duodenal switch, I thought the RNY was for me. I really need to know what the best surgery for me would be.  I can't seem to make up my mind and I don't want to make any mistakes. Can someone please help me decide? Thank you.
Vicki PNW
on 3/29/08 2:48 pm
I would suggest that you visit the active Duodenal Switch forum board, if you haven't already.  A good number of DSers were revised from VBG and other old stomach stapling procedures.  The good things about DS is that DSers can: - take NSAIDs, while RNYers cannot. - have normal functioning stomachs with pylorus valves intact, while RNYers don't. - eat just about anything, within limits, while RNYers' diets are much more restrictive. - fast-track thru the post-op diet phases. - not dump because their stomachs are fully functional, while RNYers have very good chances of dumping because their stomachs have been cut away. - experience almost no puking and foaming after eating, while RNYers are on the opposite spectrum. The best choice is an informed choice!

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/08 11:55 pm - TX

I'm a grazer but for me, I think the fact that I am actually helped my DS do it's work.  I ate small amounts often (think every hour or two, sometimes 1/2 hr after) but stuck to the DS rules of getting 64 oz of fluids, 90 gr. of protein by 90 days, and my vits/supplements.  I believe that is keeping my stomach small and my restriction good.

Don't get me wrong.  I can eat a half a sub (NJ size, not subway 6" size) if I want.  But there are more days that I couldn't.  Plus having the ghrelin gone (cut away with 3/4 of my stomach) I rarely experience hunger and when I do, it's not the same feeling as hunger pangs pre DS.  Like I said, I am a grazer and don't usually eat because I'm hungry.  I eat out of boredom, stress relieff, love food, etc.  When my life is calmer and I'm not bored, I eat 3 or 4 small meals a day.

Look at the stats for the DS and who posts here who has regained.  You'll be hardpressed to find a handful of DS'rs.

beth75
on 3/30/08 4:57 am - Brownsboro, AL
I agree with Starry.  The DS is a better way to go.  She and I both started out with the RNY and both had to be revised but for different reasons.  The RNY failed us, where the DS has been a life saver and we both enjoy a much better quality of life.   Do your research.  Knowledge is power and I bet with knowledge you will find that the DS is the superior surgery.
Beth75           Slow and Steady wins the race!     
  Open Revision RNY to DS  AT GOAL  I LOVE MY DS

Most Active