My doctors appt. today

darnell239
on 3/28/08 6:02 am - Columbia, SC
Went to see the doctor today about my endoscopy.  Basically, my endoscopy went fine and there was no real problems.  However, my scope did show that I have a dialated stoma which is of no surprise to me.  Here is where things get a little weird.  The doctor is talking about performing the stomaphx procedure on me.  He thinks I can get qualified for a revision through insurance.  He wants to convert my mini-gastric bypass to a traditional RNY and perform the stomaphx procedure while performing this revision.  However, he does not think he needs to bypass me anymore.  I expressed my reluctance with this because I think it is the malabsorbtion that mainly causes the weight loss.  He doesn't think so.  He thinks tightening my stoma will be enough to help with the weight loss.  Basically, I have to go along with this.  I can't afford to look for another doctor, it is not easy finding a doctor with experience with revisions especially with the previous procedure I had (the mini-gastric bypass), or a doctor close enought to provide after care.  For now I have to go with what is being offered and pray for insurance approval.  My biggest problem is dealing with the nutritionist at that office.  She is the only nutritionist on staff and her schedule is not flexible and it usually takes a month to get an appointment with her.  The office allows no flexibility with letting patients see other nutritionist!   I know I've said alot but do anyone have any thoughts on this situation?
Monique H.
on 3/28/08 8:26 am
I don't know if this will work with you, but the nutritionist in my surgeons office and I have scheduled phone calls every Monday morning at 10 a.m. I email her my food journal so she has a copy of it and then we talk about what is going on. This way I don't have to take off work and don't have to drive almost two hours one way to go to her office.
WHEN LIFE KNOCKS YOU DOWN TO YOUR knees, JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE IN THE PERFECT POSITION TO PRAY. HW 395, RNY 4/2/07 345, Lowest Weight 248,  Revision to Distal RNY 1/13/09 278,Revision to DS 10/15/10
darnell239
on 3/28/08 8:31 am - Columbia, SC

Monique, You are lucky that the nutritionist you have is that flexible and reasonable.  The nutritionist I have has no flexibility.  I think a lot of it has to do with that every patient is required to see her before insurance is submitted and before surgery.  So she knows that the patients are at her mercy and we don't have a choice of going somewhere else.

beth75
on 3/28/08 11:16 am - Brownsboro, AL
Darnell, There is no way I would let a Dr. do a surgery on me that I didn't want.  I went from Alabama to California for my revision and my PCP does my after care.  There are no nutritionist requirements. My labs are done locally and faxed to my surgeon.  Then he advises me of what to do over the phone or via email.  It has worked out fine.  Many people do this long distance because there are so few qualified revision surgeons.  Your surgeon doesn't sound very patient - friendly.  If I were you, I would do some more research.  It is your body and it is you that has to live with what is done to it.  I personally agree with you about the malabsorption, and I would be damned if I would let that arrogant SOB tell me otherwise.
Beth75           Slow and Steady wins the race!     
  Open Revision RNY to DS  AT GOAL  I LOVE MY DS

MaryTeresa
on 3/28/08 2:22 pm - Loveland, OH
I am in a simialr boat. I have my stoma dialated to the size of a quarter and I am anemic. My Dr didnot recommend stomaphyx for me because of how smal my pouch is (the size of a large egg) and how extensive my stoma is dialated plus my anemia . He recomended a Lap over RNY with a partial cologen fill in my stoma to put me back to the 0.5-1.0 oz pouch and M&M sized stoma I had at the begining of my surgery . He said I did so well 1st time losing 220lbs in 1 1/2 years he thinks it is the right diet for me to do the 8-10 1oz meals a day. I am fine with that. He also told me the stomaphyx would not hold as long with my stoma it would need adjusted in about 3 years. Hope you find what works for you. Good luck.
Vicki PNW
on 3/29/08 7:05 am, edited 3/29/08 7:06 am

I disagree with your surgeon.  My surgeon, Dr. Clifford Deveney, did a MGB-to-VSG revision on a local who was malabsorbing to the point that she weighed only 88# and was near death at the time of the revision shortly after Thanksgiving last year.  He completely took down her MGB and built up a vertical sleeve stomach.  She had a very rough recovery period, but she is now back to work full time.  Oh yes, she has put on a lot of weight and was about 115# last I heard.  Her goal is 120# and she is 5'4". The problem with going to Dr. Deveney may be that he is in Portland, OR, and that's clear across the country from you.  Are you willing to travel to Portland?  There are direct flights from Atlanta to Portland and back, if you're interested.   If you do decide to see Dr. Deveney after all, then he may want to review your MGB surgery reports before he will do a revision. Hope this helps!

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Cynthia Johnson
on 4/5/08 5:47 am
Hi, read your story and I want to encourage you.  Get what you want and don't settle for something else.  If you keep looking you will find the surgeon who will be and do exactly what it is you need/want. Don't be this surgeons first!  Send me a email and lest talk. Cynthia   Big Hug
Most Active