Need Opinions?

barbarabrewer
on 3/28/08 6:19 am - TX
Hi, This is Barbara Brewer again...I haven't posted in a while.  I had gastric bypass in May of 2003 and I have gained back 80 pounds of the 134 pounds I orginally lost.  I have found a surgeon who would do a revision.  He would do a gastric band over the gastric bypass.  I had the endoscopy and Upper GI done last December and my original surgeon told me she wouldn't consider a revision on me. Do you all know if this is one of the common procedures for a revision from an original gastric bypass?  To have a lap band?  I didn't have any stoma's or fistual's just a stretched pouch. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Barbara Brewer
darnell239
on 3/28/08 8:18 am - Columbia, SC
Barbara, There are people who are having lapbands placed over there original gastric bypass.  If I were you I would ask this question on the lapband forum.  Also, check out the stomaphx procedure.  This is non-invasive and I've heard some fair reviews on the procedure.
rlg31
on 3/28/08 9:05 am - Wayne, NJ
HI Barbara, I am in the same boat.  I am scheduled for revision surgery on April 22. My Doctor wants to put a lap band over the rny also.  He said he has seen good results from this procedure.  I am just not sure if I want to do this.  Whart did your doctor say about it? Good luck .........................  Randi
beth75
on 3/28/08 11:03 am - Brownsboro, AL
I am a revision from the RNY to the DS.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  The stomaphyx and a lapband will make your pouch smaller again, but what will happen in the next 3 or 4 years?  With the DS you have a stomach so you eat less, but more normally, and you have the metabolic changes of the malabsorption to help not only with initial weight loss, but with maintenance of your weight loss over the long haul.  You should at least investigate the DS. It's the best.  If I had known about it in the first place, I would never had the RNY in the first place.  Good Luck. Beth
Beth75           Slow and Steady wins the race!     
  Open Revision RNY to DS  AT GOAL  I LOVE MY DS

reenieb
on 3/28/08 9:30 pm
RNY on 03/08/04 with
Beth, what exactly is the DS revision procedure? Can you direct me to where I can learn more about it? What exactly is done? Thanks so much! Maureen
beth75
on 3/30/08 4:47 am - Brownsboro, AL
With a revision from the RNY to the DS, they reattach the stomach and the intestines, pretty much undoing the RNY then they perform the DS, leaving a gastric sleeve so you have a normal functioning stomach only it is very small and the malabsorption of the DS.  It is a bigger surgery than the DS alone and you want to go to a surgeon that is experienced in the proceedure.  They frequently also remove your appendix and gallbladder if you still have it.  It can be done either lap or open.  Mine was done open.  I was kind of glad because I felt better knowing the surgeon had a clear view of the field, but my surgeon now does it both ways.  I personally feel that with the statistics of better weight loss and less regain with the DS, not to mention the better quality of life, the DS is the way to go.  Good luck.
Beth75           Slow and Steady wins the race!     
  Open Revision RNY to DS  AT GOAL  I LOVE MY DS

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/08 9:30 pm - TX
On March 29, 2008 at 4:30 AM Pacific Time, reenieb wrote:
Beth, what exactly is the DS revision procedure? Can you direct me to where I can learn more about it? What exactly is done? Thanks so much! Maureen

http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

and

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id ,5357/

MaryTeresa
on 3/28/08 2:26 pm - Loveland, OH
I am doing a Lapband over RNY with a partial cologen fill because of a dialated stoma. I am anemic and needed the stoma part fixed  not more malobsorbtion. My Dr said I did so well losing 220lbs in 1 1/2 years that He beleives that was the right diet size for me. I am one who sticks to Dr orders my weight gain and stoma issue is due to back to back high risk pregnancies that had me on bed rest for nearly 2 years. My mom has just a small stoma issue on dialation so she is just getting a cologen fill. Hope this helps.
babrewer
on 3/30/08 1:10 am - Midlothian, TX
Thanks to all of you for your input.  I am going to Dr. Nicolson's seminar this Tuesday evening and I have an appointment to see Dr. Nicolson on 4/10/08 to get his opinion and dx for my treatment.  I will ask his opinion on the other procedures that you all have mentioned.  I will report back my findings. Barbara Brewer
juststeff
on 4/2/08 12:09 pm - Charlotte, NC
Hi Barbara! It is very common to have a band over bypass, stretched pouch needed only! (Who wants more then that, really? ) If your ONLY issue is a stretched pouch, then all you really need is the restriction back. The lovely thing about the band is the fact that you can always control it, you get to goal and you feel you can maintain you can loosen it up a bit, you still feel like you could stand to lose some, stay there or have it adjusted more. Good luck!
Most Active