Seeking a Revision from Lapband to RNY

MARCIAM
on 3/27/08 6:29 am, edited 3/27/08 2:09 pm - Sayville, NY
I just want to introduce myself and seek any feedback or advice you might have for me. I had lapband surgery 1/23/06. I started at 5' tall and 297 pounds.I am 59 years old and my metabolism must be slowing down as well. I still am 5' tall but have gotten down to 211 at my lowest weight. For the past few months I have put on and taken off the same 5 pounds many times. This means that my BMI is still over 40.  I have followed all of the rules my doctor has given me. I have worked hard at the band but I have just stopped losing. Both my surgeon and my PCP feel that my band has done all it is going to do for me and that I need to add malobsorbtion(sp) in order to start losing again. I have started making clearance appointments for RNY. Also in the last week I have started getting acid reflux. I have not had a recent fill and do not think that I am too tight.I have 9cc in a VG band. With the acid reflux I do not think I can risk another fill. I still have type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure although both are better than before the lapband. I would appreciate any advice.
Marcia 297/169 so far/140
RNY on 9/22/08
My life is starting over & yours can too!

Hondurian Queen
on 3/27/08 10:52 am - BOSTON, MA
hello I really cant tell you much except that I too have the band and had it since 7/31/06 and I am having a revision my surgery is scheduled for 6/2/08 with a new surgeon and I am so ready to have it done I was 331 before the band got all the way down to 245 and gained weight and now weigh 288 I am so miserable with this weight and hope that this surgery will get me to where I want to be I wish you much success on your journey

MARCIAM
on 3/27/08 2:02 pm - Sayville, NY
Thanks for your response. I wish you good look with your revision and hope it makes a big difference for you!
RNY on 9/22/08

Valerieb09
on 3/27/08 12:07 pm - Seacoast, NH
Hi Marcia, Did you post this on the Main Board too?  This board tends to be kind of quiet.  Hondurian Queen and I share the same doctor.  I hope some more members will come on board and post their experiences.  I know a lot of people have had a revision from lapband to RNY.  I have been on this board for the past five years and seen quite a few people. Good Luck Marcia
MARCIAM
on 3/27/08 2:04 pm - Sayville, NY
Thanks so much Valerie! I will try posting it on the main board too. Good luck to you!
RNY on 9/22/08

JROLFSON
on 3/28/08 12:11 am - St. George, UT
Hi Marcia: I have heard of many successful revisions from band to RNY. I had gastric stapling to RNY and was very successful for many years. I am my own worst enemy I'm afraid. The important thing here is that you really move on this because, and I'm sure it varies, my doctor told me that he doesn't like performing surgeries beyond 60 years old.  That's why I'm trying so hard to get mine going. Time flies by and before you know it, it gets harder to find a doctor who will do the procedure. If you post on the lab band site you will find others there who are banded and looking or have had revisions to rny. For some reason we don't have near the traffic that the other sites do. Good Luck Marcia JRolfson
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 3/28/08 2:50 am - 128 Belt, MA
Hey Val, I too have Doc Lautz.   My insurance is ready to flip and I should be a June conversion as well. Joan
Valerieb09
on 3/28/08 8:14 am - Seacoast, NH
Hey Joan, Another one of Dr. Lautz's patients!  My revision date is June 9, 2008.  I am so excited!  I have only lost 20% of my excess weight and have had lots of problems eating.  I just need clearance from my kidney doctor as I lost a kidney to cancer in 2003. Let us know when you get your revision date! Valerie
SoniaMc
on 3/31/08 5:22 am - Arlington, TX

Hello, I had a revision done Feb. 2006 and I am very pleased with the results. It is one of the best decisions that I've ever made in my life. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a message. Good luck with your approval process!

Sonia

"When you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done."

Most Active