RnY > DS

Rosalind G.
on 3/25/08 1:39 am - La Cañada Flintridge, CA
I have a friend *****ally, really wants a revision from RnY to DS.  She's got a bleeding stomal ulcer that has had her occasionally  vomiting blood, and passing bloody stools.  At this point she's needing iron infusions every couple of weeks for severe anemia.  She's also had a 50# regain up from her 150# loss.  She may have to self-pay.  I'm going to check over on the DS forum, but I was wondering if anyone here went to Dr. Ungson in Mexico for a revision.

All is well in the garden, Roz
DS lap--8/4/04--Dr John Rabkin, San Francisco (246/118)
4/6/06--Lower body lift with muscle repair, Dr J. C.Fuentes, MX
7/31/06--Facelift; TCA peel (lower eyes); canthopexy,Dr . Binder (love him), BH, CA
2/7/07--Breast Aug/Lift--Dr  Bresnick, Encino, CA
Better living through the scalpel

MaryTeresa
on 3/25/08 12:22 pm - Loveland, OH
Most insurences will cover for medical nessesity but wont cover RNY to DS .. She may want to call her insurence and ask for medical nessesity if they cover VSG or DS. I am anemic so my prayers are with her. Good luck.
Rosalind G.
on 3/25/08 12:28 pm - La Cañada Flintridge, CA
Oh, I didn't know that.  She doesn't have insurance yet.  She's got wait another 30 days, I think, for it to kick in.  Then she can call. Thank you for your prayers, and I hope you're getting good care, too.

7/31/06--Facelift; TCA peel (lower eyes); canthopexy,Dr . Binder (love him), BH, CA

(deactivated member)
on 3/26/08 8:42 pm - TX
On March 25, 2008 at 7:22 PM Pacific Time, MaryTeresa wrote:
Most insurences will cover for medical nessesity but wont cover RNY to DS .. She may want to call her insurence and ask for medical nessesity if they cover VSG or DS. I am anemic so my prayers are with her. Good luck.
My insurance, BCBS PPO, covered my revision from RNY to DS.
LosingSally
on 3/26/08 4:16 pm
Increasing malabsorption for someone with severe anemia may not be an option. A surgery that would restore her stomach with the pyloric valve would help with the ulcer and bleeding. The anemia may be from bleeding, or may be from inability to absorb enough iron due to her original surgery. This may be a problem for her, but hopefully a good surgeon will give her good advice.
Rosalind G.
on 3/26/08 11:04 pm - La Cañada Flintridge, CA
I think it's her hope that the anemia can be gotten under control.  What worries me is that there would be so much scar tissue, or adhesions, that not even a VSG could be done.   Yes, getting to a good surgeon is the answer, but even then, I'm guessing that there won't be a final answer until she's "under the knife" and he can actually see what's there. Thanks for your thoughts.

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/08 1:38 am - TX

Roz, Scubagirl went to Dr. K 2 years ago because of her stomach ulcers, which were pre-cancerous.  She needed the vertical gastrectomy even if she weren't obese.  She had the DS, and it solved both her problems.

I think with iron infusions to get her iron up, she'd be safe in having the DS.  There shouldn't be any bleeding after the DS and there are very few of us that have issues with Iron.

Rosalind G.
on 3/27/08 1:47 am - La Cañada Flintridge, CA
That's encouraging. BTW, she's been coming here to OH, but I don't think she's actually hitting the different relevent sites.  She's just been searching posts.  I didn't even realize you could do that.  Dense me.  She found enough to comment on some of the "contentiousness" she's read.  Fortunately, she's commited to the DS. 

beth75
on 3/28/08 11:33 am - Brownsboro, AL
My insurance, Federal BC/BS also covered my revision from the rny to the DS and Fe issues are not that common with the DS because we can eat red meat and we absorb iron and B12.  Once her ulcers are dealt with, she probably won't have the severe anemia. Beth
Beth75           Slow and Steady wins the race!     
  Open Revision RNY to DS  AT GOAL  I LOVE MY DS

Rosalind G.
on 3/28/08 1:49 pm - La Cañada Flintridge, CA
Thanks so much, Beth.  I'll tell her.  I'm sure there's good hope for her.

Most Active