lapband to sleeve?

bark
on 3/21/08 9:12 pm - miami Shores, FL
I am scheduled to have my revision April 15 and would like to hear from people that have gone thru this. I am a bit nervous because I don't want to have this permanent procedure and maybe feel like I did with the band.
babsintx
on 3/22/08 6:23 am - GA
Hi Bark, I just had a revision from lapband to sleeve. I dont know if I am far enough along to give you any real perspective, but so far so good. I am 12 days out and sipping on thick liquids ranging from shakes to soups. SInce I dont know how you felt with your band or what the issues were or how long, I dont know how you will feel. My situation went on for several years before I finally gave in and decided to go for the sleeve. Since I did well with my band, deciding on another restrictive procedure seemed to be the best option for me.I was banded almost  5years and developed "pseudo achalasia of the esophagus" even with an empty band. So it needed to come out. Believe me when I tell you that I felt like a failure many times with my band for the last few years and kept trying to make it work. Several doctors said they didnt know how I survived with my condition so long. I had an anterior slip and posterior problems with part of my stomach encapsulated like a hematoma with lots of scar tissue. It took 3 1/2 hours to remove and sleeve me. The only advice I can give you is to pick your surgeon wisely. I changed surgeons several times before I found one I felt sure of. And even then I still had doubts that I was making the right decision. Mentally, I am missing food and wish I could eat a rack of ribs, but most of the sleevers tell me once I get past liquids, it will be a different story and I will love my sleeve. Babs in GA

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/08 8:16 pm - AZ
On March 22, 2008 at 4:12 AM Pacific Time, bark wrote:
I am scheduled to have my revision April 15 and would like to hear from people that have gone thru this. I am a bit nervous because I don't want to have this permanent procedure and maybe feel like I did with the band.
Why don't you want permanent?  If I had it to do all over again I would go for a sleeve because it is permanent.  I don't ever want to be MO again.  As for removing the band the only reason to do that is if there is a problem with the band itself, otherwise it is permanent.
Most Active