Stomaphyx Post Op #2

pepsi98
on 3/20/08 10:21 pm - Norwich, CT
Hi,    I went to Tufts yesterday for my 2nd appointment after stomaphyx on Feb 1st.  I've lost a total of 17 lbs since the procedure YEAHHHH!!!!!!!   I've been moved to stage 5 foods...veggies, salads etc.  I've also made a decision about the weight loss group I've been going to every Saturday.  I've decided to stop going simply because weighing in every single week is only discouraging me and making me crazy!  I obsess about that scale all week and if I eat something I'm not supposed to I freak out knowing that it will show in my weight.  I obsess about the scale and it has become the measure of how I feel about myself...if I lose then it gives me permisssion to be "good" and if I don't I am "bad". I am so sick of that chunk of metal determining my level of self worth that I've decided to just weigh in when I go to Boston, and I now feel a peace with that decision.  Dr. Shikora really is wonderful and he kind of reinforced "not" wanting to feel the amount of restriction.  I told him that I didn't feel a lot of restriction and he basically swaid that I really shouldn't.  If I'm following my plan and I push myself away from the table before I feel full then that's better than waiting until I feel full because that means I'm stretching things out.  So, I will not worry myself about how much restriction I feel or don't feel and focus more on making the right choices in the right amounts. I feel that if I can lose 10 lbs a month then I will be totally satisfied.  It's hard work, but this isn't easy for any of us. 10 down only 90 to go!!
NueBelieve
on 3/21/08 1:22 am - PA

Congrats on the weight lose! I understand totally what you mean about the scale holding us captive. I really plays with our minds. You have a good postive attitude so keep up the good work and keep posting updates because I look at this board as a great support system.

:)

JeannieBVA1
on 3/22/08 11:01 pm

CONGRATS on your weight loss.   It sounds like you are doing really well !!   And you have one of the really big things needed- (positive attitude)  However, I think if the support group was helping you, perhaps you should keep going.  Just explaine that your not going to weigh and why.   I'm sure they will understand. 

Good luck,  I'm cheering for you !!

Jeannie

pepsi98
on 3/23/08 7:25 am - Norwich, CT
Thanks so much!!  I may just go and "listen" but I think I need to give it some time...the scale has really traumatized me and  I have let tell me if I'm "good" or "bad".  This is definately a toxic relationship I have with the scale!!  So, I think I'll let it be for a while.   Didn't do too bad for Easter.  I worked and did well there and then went to the in-laws and had ham, 1 tblsp broccoli cassarole, 1 bread with butter and 1 piece apple pie (OUCH!!!)   tomorrow it's back to work and my more 'normal' eating pattern.
Mosy
on 3/25/08 9:10 am
Congrats!!!! just heard about the stomaphyx procedure, i find it intresting... what was ur original procedure? i had the VSG and i i was wondering abut this as a revision procedure
pepsi98
on 3/25/08 7:37 pm - Norwich, CT
I had a gastric bypass in the early 80's before there was a lot known about bariatrics.  I lost about 120 lbs but didn't keep it off for very long and gained most of it back.fairly quickly.  I had only found out about Stomaphyx a few months ago so I did have it done on Feb 1st.  There is not a lot of restriction and they say typically it works best for people who have 50lbs or less to lose, but I would like to lost 100lbs and I'm going to make it work in spite of the fac t that I have a lot more to lose.
Most Active